Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Receive but can't send Centurylink email

Any ideas to help? I have two Centurylink email accounts. About a month ago, my iPhone stopped sending mail through my Centurylink smtp. Now, I can receive Centurylink mail but can't send mail or reply from either account on either my iPhone or iPad. I have talked to CL several times and they have walked me through the screens but to no avail. I am not experiencing difficulty with my Gmail, Hotmail or Mac mail on the mobile devices. Should be a solution without having to install a special piece of software.

iOS 7.0.4, Problem occurs

Posted on Dec 11, 2013 8:04 PM

15 replies

Oct 30, 2017 11:44 AM in response to CMSMN

Did you ever get this resolved? I am interested since I am now having the same issue after upgrading to an iPhone 8+ from an iPhone 6+. However, I do not have the same issues on my older iPad.

Like you, I have deleted and added the account back, checked and double checked account setting, set the outgoing serve up just like both Century Link and Apple suggest, and all without solving the outgoing e-mail issue.

Dec 11, 2013 8:14 PM in response to CMSMN

check under settings< mail contacts and calendars and tap on your smtp server. I think you'll have to tap on it again, but you more than likely need to input the info for you mail server (user name and password)

If that doesn't fix it, have you tried to delete that mail account from your phone and re add it ?

This link may be even more of an assist to your needs. http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3899

Hope this helps.

Dec 11, 2013 8:31 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Unfortunately, CL says "its an Apple" problem and have been less than helpful. Note that I report that I had CL walk me through an reinstallation, screen by screen to ensure I had the correct information entered but it still doesn't work. Things were working well until about mid-November so they are as confused as I am. Works fine from web browser and iMac mail server programs.

Dec 12, 2013 8:23 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Worth a try!

The "primary" CL account error message reads:

Cannot Send Mail

The user name or password for "xxxx" is incorrect.

(confusing as the name and password ARE correct.)

The second email account on CL error message is different it reads:

Cannot Send Mail

A copy has been placed placed in your Outbox. The recipient "xxx" was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying.

(I don't understand what it "relaying" means in this context.

Thanks to everyone still trying to help me resolve my issues.

Dec 12, 2013 8:31 PM in response to CMSMN

The first message means you cannot log into the SMTP server. For whatever reason, it is showing this error regarding the username and password. It could have something to do with the fact that you have more than one CL account. We'll check that later.

The second one has to do with a different SMTP error, and that sounds like it is hitting the wrong port, even though you are saying you have corrected to their recommended port. Many ISP email providers will not let you send mail through their SMTP server when not on their network, such as connected by the computer or on your wi-fi at home, unless you can be authenticated. This has something to do normally with the SSL setting and how you are authenticated.

Also, when deleting and adding similar accounts back to the phone, it can also keep/carryover SMTP settings. If you go into Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>tap on the primary account, hoiw many SMTP servers are listed there? There might be a primary and there could also be Other SMTP servers. This may be where your problem lies. Check the settings in the Primary Server. Because you have two accounts, and they of course, have different username and passwords, they could be causing conflict as to which SMTP server is checked there. See if the correct SMTP server is serving the correct account. You can make adjustments in each account area.

We can work from there.

Dec 12, 2013 9:23 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you for such clear instructions - On the main account there is one "primary server" - "smtp.centurylink.net" and is marked "on". Under the label "Other SMTP Servers" there are a various servers that are all marked "off". On the secondary account - the settings are the same.

I reset my passwords using my iMac. When I put the new password into the fist CL account, I got the word "Verifying" and then a bunch of checkmarks but a test message is just grinding and not sending. II finally had to manually remove the message from the Outbox.

When I entered the password for the second account, I didn't get the same message that it was "verifying". I'm also not able to send a test message but that account returns the "Cannot Send Mail. The user name or password for "SMTP.XXX@CL.net."net@smtp.cl.net' is incorrect. A new error message. I verified that the Port is 587

Dec 12, 2013 9:31 PM in response to CMSMN

Do you have any additional email accounts on the device? We may need you to try deleting the CL accounts, then go into the other account (if it exists) to try and remove these additional SMTP servers. When you looked at the Primary SMTP server for that account, did you check the username and password? Did you take the time to look at the various servers listed under other, were they CL servers as well? We need to get rid of all those servers after deleting the CL accounts and then starting over. I want to see if you can try to delete and recreate them without having to wipe the phone.

Unfortunately, it is gotten rather late for me and I have work early in the morning. I will get back to you after lunchtime for me tomorrow. I gotta get some sack time. Good luck for now.

Receive but can't send Centurylink email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.