Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

since updating iPhoto it has ceased to open. i have tried to Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard but it does not work. iPhoto still does not open

Since updating iPhoto it has ceased to open. I have tried to Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard which is the suggested solution to then open a suggested solution to rebuild the library, but it does not work. iPhoto still does not open. can someone please help?

thank you

iPhoto '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 2:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 3:54 AM

have tried to Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard which is the suggested solution to then open a suggested solution to rebuild the library, but it does not work.

Which of those steps fail?

What happens when you try to open? What do you see? Any error messages?

6 replies

Dec 12, 2013 2:21 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you for responding.

When i hold the Command and Option key and then click on the Iphoto Icon, it bounces for a while on the task bar and the small white bar next to the Icon goes on, indicating the program is running. However nothing else happens. No messages. the icon stops bouncing. Nothing.

Equally i cannot close iphoto (albeit it does not appear to be running) unless i choose "force quit".

Dec 12, 2013 3:12 PM in response to robjuxon

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto's cache folder(s):

Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

and, if there is one, the

Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks, 10.9, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file Happy Holidays

Dec 18, 2013 12:54 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your help.

I have followed your instructions rebooted and tried again several times.

However, the problem has not resloved. As before, i click on the Iphoto icon and it bounces for a short while and looks like the program is open, but it is not. I have tried this a few times both normally and while holding down command and option keys. (each time repeating the sequence of deleting the files you suggested).

I am at a loss on how to retrieve my photos and get Iphoto working.

any other ideas woudl be much appreciated

thank you

Dec 18, 2013 10:31 AM in response to robjuxon

Give this a try:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the subfolders of the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window a few at a time.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

Dec 24, 2013 3:45 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi

thanks for the instructions. However, i could still not get past steps 1 and 2 as i could not still launch Iphoto.

In the end i have had to Reinstall OSX mavericks completly by pressing Cmr and R upon rebooting. this gave the option of reinstalling the system, but without losing all my files. (i backed up just in case).

this seems to have done the job, although it took about 8 hours to do. I am now not installing the latest Iphoto update which is what seems to have caused the whole issue in the first place

thanks

Rob

since updating iPhoto it has ceased to open. i have tried to Hold down the Command and Option keys on the keyboard but it does not work. iPhoto still does not open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.