Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wrong date in numbers

When I open a file in Numbers how some have write in Excell cant I see the date

I have try to change to date format, but it not helps.

Macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 6:16 AM

17 replies

Dec 13, 2013 8:42 PM in response to dahlin

There have been quite a few reports of problems with dates when importing/exporting from Excel and its open-source clones with Numbers 3.0. I do not have a solution to suggest other than to convert the dates in another column then "paste values" back into the correct column.

41586 would be the date 11/8/13 (or 11/9/2017). Excel saves dates as serial numbers and it uses two different systems. In the 1900 date system, #1 is Jan 1, 1900 and that is the first date in the system. In the 1904 date system, zero is Jan 1, 1904 and that is the first date in that system. On oddity about the 1900 system is that Excel long ago also coded in a bug so as to be compatibile with another app that thought there was a leap year in 1900.

The 1900 date system can be converted as (with the serial number in cell B2):

="1/1/1900"+B2−1−IF(B2>59,1,0)

Jul 8, 2014 4:03 PM in response to dahlin

Badunit's solution works on my MacBook but I'm not about to convert all my XLS spreadsheets since we share them with others that use Windows. What was Apple thinking when they decided they didn't have to allow imports of Excel sheets with the common date formats mm/dd/yy? I couldn't figure out why they left Numbers 9 on my laptop when I "upgraded" to the latest version. I deleted Numbers 9 before I found out Numbers 3.2 didn't work! G'rrrr

Jul 9, 2014 6:10 AM in response to canalman

I think it is something else going on besides the date format mm/dd/yy. I can import that format just fine. In fact, I have yet to run into the date import problem (but i don't import that many Excel spreadsheets). I created an Excel spreadsheet in Excel for Mac 2011 that used every built-in date format and I imported it into Numbers 3.2. Not a single one of those dates imported as a serial number. I have not tried doing the same with a PC version of Excel, though.

Jul 9, 2014 12:26 PM in response to Badunit

OK. I think I figured it out. If I simply open the xls database in my old Excel (2002) app on my Dell laptop, save it with the same file name and no changes then open that on my iMac with Numbers 3.2, it opens OK and the dates are fine. So something is changed by opening it then saving again without any changes. I called the guy that creates the database to see if he upgraded his Windows PC or Excel and it turns out he didn't but he creates the database in Open Office 4.0.1 then exports it as a *.xls file format!

So what is different is that opening the database in Excel then saving it must be cleaning up something that didn't bother Numbers 9 but doesn't work with Numbers 3.2.

I've tried a number of variations of editing, opening and saving the original xls file and it doesn't matter what I do, it will always open OK in Numbers 3.2 as long as it has been opened and saved once in Excel. Screwy problem.

Jul 9, 2014 2:44 PM in response to Badunit

Thanks. I received your file. No one previously mentioned the blue triangle warning message in Numbers 3 that says the format could not be imported and what those formats were (or I missed it if someone mentioned it).

If I import the file into Numbers 3 and look at the blue triangle warnings, there are two slightly different formats neither of which is one of Excel's built-in date formats. They are custom formats of mm/dd/yy and mm/dd/yy;@. Nonetheless, "mm/dd/yy" is a dead giveaway and should have been seen as a date during import. It works fine in Numbers '09.

If I save the Excel file under a different name in Excel without making any changes to the spreadsheet, the new version imports correctly. This leads me to believe that Excel interpreted the original file and corrected it.

I'll have to think about what else I can try out to figure this out. Right now it is dinner time.

wrong date in numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.