Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1 "iOS Updates Required" to sign in to Apple Store?

Hello,

I have iPad first generation, and 2 Apple ID:Japanese and Indonesian one. i tried to sign in with my japanese account and it says:

"iOS Updates Required: the requested action requires the latest version of iOS"

and

"Cannot connect to iTunes Store"

but there's nothing to update because iPad 1st gen can only update until iOS 5.1.1,

i only want to buy some japanese apps (if they are available in that iOS)

and i have no problem at all signing in with my Indonesian Apple ID.

any advice?

thank you!

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 6:20 AM

7 replies

Feb 13, 2014 12:59 PM in response to fistania

I am having this same problem as well.

My brother recently gave me his old iPad (1st generation) running iOS 5.1.1.

I have tried to sign in with my newly created Apple ID (under Settings app --> Store) but am getting the error message "iOS Update Required". However, the iPad 1st gen cannot be updated further because iOS 5.1.1 is the latest available for it.

Signing in with my brother's old Apple ID works fine.

My brother's Apple ID is a Singapore Apple ID. My Apple ID is a US Apple ID.

This behavior remains even after a complete wipe and factory reset of the iPad device.

What can I do in order to use my Apple ID with this iPad 1st gen?

Aug 20, 2014 7:13 AM in response to fistania

I may have found a solution to this problem.

I have the ipod touch 3rd gen (before the Retina display) running 5.1.1, which is the highest iOS version possible (according to itunes). However even after complete wiping and resetting, after logged into App Store I can't download apps that clearly state that they support iOS 5.0 or later. The App icon would appear on the home screen for a quick second, then display "the request action requires the latest version of iOS", then "iOS updates required". I have tried a Canadian Apple ID and a Chinese Apple ID, neither worked. Also, you can't even create new Apple ID on the iPod, will return the same error.

Solution (at least for me): update your itunes on your computer (i did it on a macbook pro, hopefully on Windows it is the same) to the latest version, go to iTunes store and search for the app you want. as long as the App itself states its compatibility with your iOS version, you should be fine. Now download it into itunes. Then plug in the iPod touch and sync the app. You want to be careful about sync options for various content. Pick the manually manage content option and only sycn the App on the App page. I would carefully deselect all sync options about music, video, photo, etc. Otherwise you will wipe out your ipod media content before you know it.

This way, the above mentioned apps, which couldn't be installed locally on the iPod touch, were installed no problem through iTunes. I hope the method works for older iPad as well.

I have to say, although those older iPod touch has smaller screen and less processing power than today's even budget smartphone, they still run pretty smoothly on their highest iOS version. Got to give Apple for that!

iPad 1 "iOS Updates Required" to sign in to Apple Store?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.