Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any way to forcibly/manually upgrade to Mavericks?

Header 1

I have an early 2007 iMac (check the specs in the picture). I was ecstatic when I heard Mavericks was coming out but when I saw that I could not upgrade because it required a Mid 2007 iMac I freaked out. I am only off by a few months; I am sure my Mac can handle Mavericks but the store won't allow me to upgrade. Is there anyway to forcefully install Mavericks and if possible, to also migrate all my data to it? I would very gratefull to anyone who can help me! Thanks 🙂

User uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 8:00 AM

Your machine is probably just too old, if it's a white iMac then it's almost 8 model years old and you may be in need of a replacement. That model can still be used of course however it will not be able to install Mavericks.

11 replies

Dec 12, 2013 8:04 AM in response to Daniel Megard

No, there is no way. If you try to install it, it will not and simply show an error message.

You would also need a minimum of 4 GB RAM as that is generally considered to be a minimum for the OS to run properly. Snow leopard is an excellent OS and I would stay with it or upgrade to Lion:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4949

But, at this point you are better off where you are at until you decide to purchase a newer Mac.

Dec 12, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Daniel Megard

As babowa suggests, perhaps staying with Snow Leopard is the best option. Even if you can upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion (I don't know for sure), you'll likely find that many of the applications you currently use will no longer work in the later OS's. Snow Leopard was the last OS to support the running of PowerPC apps. It's likely that some of your apps will fall into that category.

Personally, I'd also stick where you are.

Is there any way to forcibly/manually upgrade to Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.