Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme passing incorrect DNS details to clients?

Hi

I have opted to have OSX act as a DNS server and have entered my ISP DNS details as the forwarding DNS servers. My server's network address is 192.168.0.4 and my airport extreme is 192.168.0.1. In airport extreme I have entere my server as the sole authority for DNS lookups ( 192.168.0.4). My server The problem is that when a client attaches to my network via wifi the DNS details autopopulate as 192.168.0.1 instead of 192.168.0.4 and they have no internet access. What am I doing wrong? I can manually fix this everytime but it's a pain

Thanks

Damian

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 9:32 AM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2013 4:44 PM in response to dazza222

Airport Extreme config screens have two fields in which to enter DNS server addresses. Make sure you enter your server's internal IP address in both fields. Otherwise the AEBS tends to ask the upstream router for a DNS server to populate into the second field. Your clients can be offered either address, and whenever they are offered the external one, your clients won't see the server.

By manually populating both fields, you prevent it from automatically populating the second field from it's upstream DHCP feed.

Airport extreme passing incorrect DNS details to clients?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.