Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting "streaky" images (preview) after editing. Has anyone experienced this?

Everyone once in a while (enough to be annoying), I'll see something like this in my album preview after editing a photo. If I go into the file, it looks fine, but the preview is still jacked up. The only way to fix is to quit and then restart Aperture, which is a pain when I'm editing a big project. I've rebuilt the library, and I'm running Aperture 3.5.1.

Any ideas?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 9:30 AM

12 replies

Dec 12, 2013 7:27 PM in response to Andrew McRory

These kind of display issues are often (but not always) connected with graphics card isssues.

First check software update and make sure you have installed any EFI/Graphics firmware updates intended for your Mac.

If that doesn't help, run a hardware test to check for hardware issues. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509 for instructions for your model.

You might also make a note of your graphics hardware model a search for a more rigorous hardware checker for you graphics hardware model, sometimes issues only show up when running hot.

And on that last point, make sure your Mac is running with sufficient ventilation.

Andy

Dec 14, 2013 4:16 PM in response to Andrew McRory

I'm getting this problem with Aperture 3.4.5 on my 27" iMac running 10.8.5. I only see it in the preview after editting, I never get it in the image edit or in the thumbnails.

After having this problem in preview, I can go back to edit, and the image is fine (but the corrupted preview doesn't go away).

I find this problem always goes away after I restart Aperture. It doesn't typically re-affect the same images.

Since it always clears after restarting Aperture, and it only affects previews, and not other types of images, this is clearly a SW problem, not HW.

I'm wondering if we can trace it to any of my plugins - I have the NIK plugins, Noise Ninja and DXO Viewpoint 2.

Do you have any of these plugins?

Dec 15, 2013 10:19 PM in response to ericnepean

ericnepean wrote:

Since it always clears after restarting Aperture, and it only affects previews, and not other types of images, this is clearly a SW problem, not HW.

With graphics hardware the line becomes blurred (no pun intended).

In the rendering of the above image, one of the lines being drawn is getting repeated. This is sometimes indicative of timing or memory issues which can happen when the hardware gets hot and gets throttled back, or with slightly out of spec memory chips. But it may only happen intermittently, and only with specific types of call to the graphics card so it may only ever get seen in one place, making it look more like a software error.

Not saying that's definitely the case here, just one of the possibilities worth investigating.

Andy

I'm getting "streaky" images (preview) after editing. Has anyone experienced this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.