Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I find original owner of iphone?

I purchased a used iphone but it is locked by the original owner. (Presumably the guy I bought it from stole it.) How do I find the original owner of this iphone?

iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 11:00 AM

25 replies

Dec 12, 2013 11:57 AM in response to lmroche

lmroche wrote:

No, the seller of the phone is not helpful. I need to know how to find the original owner of the phone. (I understand that I have purchased a brick if I cannot find the owner.)

I know of no way to find out. Apple will not help you, you say the seller will not help you, and nobody here can do anything. So you are on your own to try and find them. There is no mechanism or system to find the owner, if that is what you were hoping for.

Jan 21, 2014 12:17 AM in response to lmroche

I'm in the same boat ....trying to find original owner!! I have the same problem but a different twist. I bought an iPhone 4S on eBay from a seller in No. Carolina and I live in SoCal. It was sold to me with both front & back broken glass but working and now I found out I can't use it because of the link to other owner that's not my seller? Seller hasn't responded to my emails and I don't know how to contact original owner for release? Anyone have an ideas ... so far 150 for phone and 80 for glass ...230 out of pocket! It's not a beautiful thing! Thank you in advance for all replys!

Jan 21, 2014 12:25 AM in response to Hartburn2

If you purchased the phone from Ebay and the seller is not being helpful, then you need to file a claim directly with Ebay. That is what they are there for and you may or may not be able to get your money back from Ebay.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to cut your loses because you will never be able to use this phone is the person who sold it to you on Ebay is not the original owner - probably selling on a stolen phone for profit, once he found out that he could not use it. You have been well and truly scammed.

File a claim with Ebay and see what happens, but you'll probably have to buy a new phone from a legitimate source if you want one.

How do I find original owner of iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.