Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving from PC to Mac, alreday have files backed up on Seagate external drive. Can i 'just' load files from external drive or does the drive need to be set up for a MAC? thanks

Moving from PC to Mac, alreday have files backed up on Seagate external drive. Can i 'just' load files from external drive or does the drive need to be set up for a MAC? thanks

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 12:49 PM

You can copy your files from the external drive to the appropriate folders in your Mac's Home directory - Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music (put your iTunes folder here,) Pictures.

4 replies

Dec 12, 2013 12:50 PM in response to term101

The EHD can be a Windows format, OS X can read from it however it will not write to it natively. Once you have completed the migration you may want to reformat it and use it as a Time Machine backup drive.

If you haven't already please look over Pondini's guide on using Setup Assistant, if the PC and new iMac are on the same network migrating is extremely easy. Please read Lion or Mountain Lion Setup Assistant tips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.