Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I still track my iPhone if the sim card was removed?

My iPhone 4 was stolen from me at school a few days ago, and I had it turned off. When I got home I tried using find my iPhone, but it wasn't able to track becaue it said it was offline. I don't know if it was offline because it was still turned off or if the person had taken out the sim card. I had gotten an email that said this:

The following information for your Apple ID was updated on 12/10/2013:

Phone number(s):

And that's all it said before the rest of the message (there was no phone number displayed)

I think that must mean they took the sim card out, but I am not sure. If they took out the sim card and they turn it back on, am I still able to track it with find my iPhone? If I can't, is there some other way to track it? I heard somewhere that I can use the IMEI number, but I don't know what to do. I also wanted to know id it was possible to track it with the serial number, or anything else.

Also, if I am not able to get it back, or if the person had erased everything on it, how do I get my stuff back that was saved on iCloud? I've been getting those messages on my phone that would say "This iPhone hasn't been backed up in _____ weeks" or "iCloud storage is almost full" and I don't know if I would be able to get all my stuff back.

Thank you.

iPhone 4, iOS 7

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 3:13 PM

10 replies

Dec 12, 2013 3:31 PM in response to kat4433

When you first tracked it and it said offline it was because your phone was shut off.

If they remove your sim and insert another sim and restored the phone, then you won't be able to use it.

However your tag says IOS 7, the thieve would need to know your apple id and password, in order to disable find my phone to restore it.

Read here activation lock http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13695 http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5818

You can't use the imei number to track your phone.\

when you get your new phone just restore from your icloud backup

Dec 13, 2013 8:18 PM in response to razmee209

I have lost my iphone4s 5 days ago, i still keep tracking my phone, but it still show my phone is offline, is that possible to get the notification when the theives have inserted a new sim card? Although iOS7 can lock all the data in the phone, but once the sim card is being removed, means no internet connection= can not track the phone= the iphone is useless?

Can I still track my iPhone if the sim card was removed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.