Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No colored ring in charger, G4 iBook 2005

Hey guys you may have seen a couple of my old posts where I explain on how I receieved a dead iBook and replaced the HD which then lead to a dead DC-Inboard, which today I've just replaced with a new one, (or one from a old iBook), anyway the iBook now runs fine and I'm getting OS X Leopard shipped in a couple days but I'm curious of one thing, since the replacement of my DC-Inboard the "Ring of Light" that happens when you plug in the adapter wont show any color, the system however boots with ease. Now I have no problem with the light no turning on but im not entirely sure if I should be worried as this could be a sign of the DC-Inboards death as old electronics show signs of death. I payed the guy $10 on eBay, just out of curiousity should I complain to the seller or just not care?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5), iBook G4 6,7

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 4:27 PM

2 replies

Dec 12, 2013 6:52 PM in response to jpsulisz

Have you tried resetting the power management unit or system controller in the iBook using keyboard commands? There is a Support page with instructions for several vintage Apple Portables to include G4 iBooks, here:

•Resetting PowerBook and iBook Power Management Unit (PMU)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1431

Less likely to be as helpful, but sometimes is for other specific symptoms, see:

•About NVRAM and PRAM:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

When using secondhand parts, there is a certain history that may not have been passed on. Also, in the process of moving the parts around, something may have gotten confused or damaged. Gremlins? There may be some similar discussions about this topic you could search for, in these Discussions, or in Support documents. Perhaps via a general search engine, and try re-wording your input to get variable results.

Have you looked into the System Profiler and noted what it says about Power and the Battery condition? There should be status info.

{Hopefully that symptom isn't a real problem, but hoping won't make much a difference if it is.}

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

No colored ring in charger, G4 iBook 2005

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.