Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad mini immediately sleeps

Just bought a mini retina. All OK except a weird thing on powering up from completely shut down. The home screen and swipe bar only appears for a split second before the iPad sleeps.You can press the home button and everything re-appears as normal, but it seems odd that you are not given time to enter the code the first time!

Is this normal?

Is there a reason behind it?

Thanks - it's not a big issue, but it is a little strange.

iPad, iOS 7.0.4, mini retina

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 7:51 PM

10 replies

Dec 13, 2013 4:27 AM in response to Diavonex

Thanks. I have conducted a soft and hard reset (i.e. restored back to factory settings).

Does anybody else with IOS7.0.4 installed have this issue with a Mini Retina? The home screen is literally up for a split second before it disappears. Like I say, it's not a biggie by itself, but having just bought the thing I don't want this to be part of a bigger problem I have yet to discover!

Dec 13, 2013 5:14 AM in response to SergZak

Hi I have a thread on here about same thing with brand new iPad air. Apple store guy said hadn't seen it before though. He did factory reset through iTunes for me but it didn't cure it. As everything else is fine with the iPad I am just going to advise the retailer about it and hopefully although it's annoying, nothing else will develop. As pointed out to me rather keep it than return it and get the yellow screen or worse replacement. Like you, I trust that this glitch which I feel is the IOS7 will not develop into another problem, maybe a later update will cure it...!

Dec 29, 2013 10:04 PM in response to Bablenet

What is your iPad's capacity? I have this same issue with my 32gb iPad mini retina wi-fi on iOS 7.0.4. On boot (both soft and hard reset) the lockscreen will show for only a split second then sleep immediately without giving me a chance to swipe to unlock. I have also tried fully restoring multiple times, but to no avail.

Oddly though, I have two friends that have the 16gb versions of the mini retina and they do not have this issue.

Like you said, not a major issue... just more annoying than anything and I'm hoping that it is an iOS issue... something that a future update may fix...

It's strange though that this issue seems to be inconsistent across devices...

Dec 30, 2013 5:09 PM in response to CrimsonMoik

The more I think about this, the more I think it may be a glitch/malfunction with the magnet designed to be used with the smart cover and/or smart case. That may explain the inconsistency where some devices have this issue with 7.0.4 and some do not. The device behaves on boot as it would with the magnetic cover present. Unfortunately, the option in settings to toggle on/off the cover lock feature is not visible unless there is a cover actually attached. I may try to borrow a friend's smart cover to try to toggle the setting on/off and see if this does the trick to fix the issue. If it doesn't, I will try to exchange the iPad at the retailer. I will reply to this post with what I find out!

Dec 30, 2013 8:53 PM in response to CrimsonMoik

I am sort of over this now .. I posted the same question on an alternative site concerning rumours of Mac products using the same callsign (i.e. Bablenet). Many others have the same issue. Mine is the 32gb version. I'm v happy with the screen on mine and I've loaded so much stuff on it that a return seems more hassle than it's worth. I have bought a smart case and never turn the iPad off now so the issue is hidden. I am confident it doesn't affect any other aspect of the machine. I'm also pretty sure it's software related more than hardware. I suggest you leave feedback for Apple too in order for them to fix this at the next software issue, hopefully.

iPad mini immediately sleeps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.