Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad cannot determine location. Defective?

I got a new iPad Air 128GB Wi-fi model yesterday and location services aren't working. I set up the wifi, internet connection, properly and enabled location services as well. Restrictions are off. Whenever I open an app that needs location, like Apple Maps, it says 'cannot determine location'. I've tried other apps such as Google Maps and weather and even they can't access my location even though I've enabled it. Even Siri cannot determine it.

I've tried resetting the network settings, resetting all settings and even reset my iPad to factory settings by clicking on Erase all data. I've restarted my iPad several times and even pressed and held the power and center buttons.

My iPhone 5 which is connected to the same wifi network can use location services. My iPad Air also can't use the compass and Siri has the old robot voice from iOS 6. Is my iPad Air defective?

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 12, 2013 8:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 11:37 PM

I have had my iPad (wifi only) and my GPS has always worked UNTIL I did the latest update to 7.0.4 last week. Now it will not work at all and I get the "Can not determine location" message. I am trying to access it from my home which I have lived in the entire time I've had the iPad and my internet provider is the same as well. I haven't been able to find any way to reset it or anything like that either. Does anyone know a fix?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2013 11:37 PM in response to srinivas1015

I have had my iPad (wifi only) and my GPS has always worked UNTIL I did the latest update to 7.0.4 last week. Now it will not work at all and I get the "Can not determine location" message. I am trying to access it from my home which I have lived in the entire time I've had the iPad and my internet provider is the same as well. I haven't been able to find any way to reset it or anything like that either. Does anyone know a fix?

Dec 12, 2013 8:46 PM in response to srinivas1015

If you have the WiFi-only iPad your location is determined by the location of nearby WiFi routers. The WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS. Without GPS location-finding is done by using a Apple location database which contains the MAC addresses of routers and their physical location. A MAC address is a unique number which is built-in to all network devices when manufactured. The Apple database is built and updated by Apple GPS-enabled devices (primarily iPhones) actually seeing your router and then adding/updating the router's location in the database.

Bottom line: Your Router is probably not yet in the Apple location database. It hasn't been seen yet and added to the database. Without this your iPad cannot be located. Unfortunately, there is no way for users to request information to be added to Apple's database.

Oct 16, 2014 12:15 AM in response to Nicalaine

I have the same issue. Ios 8.0.2 iPad 4 16Gb Wifi. Siri will say " I have no clue where you are" .. Maps will say "Cannot determine location" .

I tried the reset all settings and reinstalled apps. Still not working. Then thinking this is a problem of geo location over wifi not working. I reset my router (altough upnp on) and briefly it got one locatiopn (of where I am) and then 10 minutes later it had the same problem again.

So then went outside with the iPad , there (using sattrack) it is working fine. So it's WIFI related problem since IOS 8.0.2.

There is NO SOLUTION whatsoever untill APPLE will fix this in the next update, so meanwhile, forget "Maps, "Siri", "Find my Iphone/ipad", "Find my friends" ... in short find anything....

Sincerely thinking that saving blobs and going back to former IOS versions shouldn't be a HASSLE but a STANDARD OPTION in ITUNES ! Because now it renders my iPAD useless untill APPLE decides to look into it SOME DAY! Unacceptable !

All go here https://www.apple.com/feedback/ to report issues.

Regards

Oct 30, 2015 8:42 PM in response to srinivas1015

HI, I have the same model iPad and today had the exact same problem. Location services suddenly stopped working . Google maps, find myiPhone, etc all not working. Yet, the compass app worked and knew exactly where I was.

I then powered the device off and on again and location services are all back to normal. So I think Apple may have a wee bug or two in the latest IOS.

iPad cannot determine location. Defective?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.