Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2009 macbook pro won't install OSX 10.6.2 after disk erase before selling

I have erased my drive and was hoping to install the original OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard that I have on the disks that came with the machine.

When I start the machine up to try the install it comes back with a message that this version of the OSX cannot be installed on this machine. Would I like to restore from a backup (which I don't) or restart.

If I restart I just get the same issue.

Can someone please advise how I can put an OS back on this machine so it is usable?

I guess I could download maverics which it wants to do, but this is then tied to my apple id right? Is there some way of removing all references to me after that?

Many thanks for your help

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 1:12 AM

10 replies

Dec 13, 2013 2:36 AM in response to nadmanuk

Are you starting (booting) from the dvd by holding C after the startup sound ?.

If you erased the drive, that should be the only way you can, but ' I could download maverics which it wants to do' sounds as if there's still an OS there.

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard: How to Erase and Install

Is the drive partitioned as required ?

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer

If so, exactly what model is the Mac & what version/details are shown on the dvd ?.

Dec 13, 2013 3:27 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy

The drive has just the small recovery partition on it. When I erased my disk I didn't erase the whole drive, should I have ? I thought it would need the recovery partition for the restore.

When I boot with the OS X disk in the drive I get the Mac OS X installer appear.

It prompts me for the language and then I get the message

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

If you want to restore your system from a Time Machine backup, click "Restore from Backup".

I then have 2 options, Restore from Backup or Restart.

I think I might have found an issue. In my attempt to clear out the number of disks I have I think I might have 'consolitdated' to just one OS X disk which is labelled iMac Mac OS X Install DVD. I have an iMac 27 too. So didn't pay attention to what was written on it. Would this install disk still work for my macbook pro?

It's a Macbook Pro model A1278

Dec 13, 2013 3:36 AM in response to nadmanuk

>>Would this install disk still work for my macbook pro?

No, they normally don't, although a retail (10.6.3) one should.

You may be able to start the MBP in target disk mode, then use the iMac & its dvd to install 10.6 on the MBP drive. That requires a suitable firewire cable.

Apple usually supply replacement dvd's if you call & quote serial number... $20-$30 from what I read.

Dec 13, 2013 4:29 AM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy

I have looked in the Disk Utility again and I see the drive and then under that Macintosh HD. I have been Erasing the Macintosh HD. When I try to Erase at the level above it just tells me "Couldn't unmount disk".

So does that leave me with really having to go back to Apple to try to get a copy of OS X again?

What's the best way of requesting that?

Many thanks

Neil

2009 macbook pro won't install OSX 10.6.2 after disk erase before selling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.