Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MVNOs support visual voicemail?

This list of mobile wireless companies and iPhone features (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) is very helpful, but very incomplete. Of about 20 MVNOs (mobile virtual network operators) that use the AT&T network from this Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operat ors), only 2 are on Apple's feature list. I'm trying to find which ones support Visual Voicemail.

Aio Wireless - YES

AirVoice Wireless

Black Wireless

Cellular Abroad

Consumer Cellular

Divvy

GHz Cellular

good2GO Mobile

H2O Wireless

iQ Cellular

Jolt Mobile

NET10 Wireless

Phonata

Pure TalkUSA

Red Pocket Mobile

SkyView Wireless

Straight Talk - NO

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 5:44 AM

12 replies

Dec 13, 2013 6:37 AM in response to wjosten

Thanks, but you apparently didn't notice that that is the very support article that I cited in my question. If the carrier is in the list and Visual Voicemail is not checked, then we know they don't offer it. If a carrier is not in that list, how can you assume the answer is no? There are at least 18 carriers not on that list, and that's just the ones that use the AT&T network.

Dec 13, 2013 6:41 AM in response to Dessicator

If a carrier is not on that list, they are not supported and do NOT support VVM. It's as simple as that. There are no supported MVNOs using the AT&T network so far as I know. ALL of the supported MVNOs are CDMA carriers. yes, they may also offer GSM service that uses the AT&T network, but they are not supported GSM carriers. They are only supported when using CDMA iPhones explicitly sold for use on their network. StraightTalk is a prime example.

Dec 27, 2013 10:23 AM in response to KiltedTim

KiltedTim wrote:

StraightTalk only supports that feature on CDMA iPhones made for StraightTalk. They do not support or allow using unlocked GSM iPhones on ther service at all.

I'm not sure about the first part, but the second sentence doesn't seem to be correct. I myself have an unlocked GSM phone that I brought with me to Straight Talk and it works fine, except for visual voicemail.

As far as GSM, Straight Talk has access to both the T-Mobile and AT&T networks. When you sign up for Straight Talk and are bringing your own phone, you can either get a T-mobile-compatible SIM or an AT&T-compatible SIM. I have the latter.

Dec 27, 2013 10:41 AM in response to Dessicator

OK. I'll say it again. StraightTalk is a supported CDMA carrier. If you walk in to Wally World and buy a StraightTalk iPhone, it is a CDMA iPhone.

Can you stick a StraightTalk GSM SIM in an iPHone and use it? Yes. You also have to jump through hoops to get features like cellular data and MMS messaging to work, because the phone can't tell it's not on AT&T (or T-Mobile) and will want to use the APN settings for the carrier network it's on, not ST. Using an unlocked GSM iPhone on StraightTalk is not supported. If you don't believe that, call them and ask them why it doesn't work for you.

Dec 27, 2013 11:52 AM in response to KiltedTim

Well, you seem very adamant, but what you're saying doesn't match my experience. "Using an unlocked GSM iPhone on Straight Talk is not supported." By whom? Straight Talk does indeed advertise and say that unlocked GSM T-Mobile- and AT&T-compatible phones are compatible with their service. You can go here (http://stbyop.com/straighttalk/) and enter your iPhone's IMEI and zip code and see if Straight Talk thinks it is compatible with their network. You can also read their FAQs where they talk about compatibility (http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/faq.php).

And I didn't have to jump through any hoops. I have talk, cell data (3G on my iPhone 4), mms, and voicemail. Just not visual voicemail. And I have read, but cannot claim first-hand, that when you buy a ST iPhone 5S or 5C, it is a GSM phone running on AT&T network.

Which MVNOs support visual voicemail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.