Both Klaus and I replied to: "help me out, i forgot my password and cannot download or update any softwares on my macbook". If you had read Klaus' link carefully you would have discovered the following which would have given you access to your Mac and its data without having to reformat:
- Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc (one whose version is closest to the version of Mac OS X installed). Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key. Or, put it in the computer and click the Install or Restore icon you see in the disc's main window (after which the computer will start from the disc without you needing to hold C). Or, you can use Startup Manager or the Startup Disk preference pane to select the Install disc.
- Choose a language, click the arrow button to continue,
- Mac OS X v10.6 or later: Choose Password Reset from the Utilities menu.
Mac OS X v10.5 or v10.4: Choose Reset Password from the Utilities menu.
Mac OS X v10.3: Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu.
Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the disc yet.
Note: The default keyboard layout is U.S. English while started from the installation disc. If you use a keyboard layout other than U.S English, use the Input menu (the flag icon on the right side of the menu bar) to select the desired layout before typing a new password.
- Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
- Select the user name of your original administrator account.
Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually the root user. You should not confuse it with a normal administrator account.
- Enter a new password.
- Click Save.
- Click the red button in the upper left corner to quit the application.
- Choose Quit Mac OS X Installer... from the Mac OS X Installer menu.
- Click Restart.
This is a great answer, but, what would I do. We bought this Mac from a person. I set it up for my wife, who now rarely uses it. It's been months and neither of us can remember the password. We have no disks, and the person we bought it from left a LOT of cool software on it as part of the deal so reformatting isn't an option. Any help?
Follow the link on my first post above and then select a likely link from the page it takes you to.
Read answers fully and follow any instructions very carefully.
Print or write instructions down before you start.
It is important to type things precisely a single character error or a missing space will prevent you achieving the desired result.
Hello sir, i am vicky i bought powerbook g4 os x 10.4.11 just few days ago i like it too much but unfortunately i have trashed some files in making space free. also emptied trash. now the problem is that i cant open system preference may i have been deleted it too. (it gives no response when i click on system preference) bluetooth preference also not working. i am very sad now cause i bought it for my student work i dont have install DVD . please help me i just want system preference back. i would be very thankful to you if you could help me. firstname.lastname@example.org my email.