Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted cutaway image in iMovie

I'm trying to make a very simple countdown movie in iMovie, using .png files as cutaway clips so that I can use my customized fonts & designs throughout the movie. The .png files are saved at 720 x 540 (at 600 resolution) & I'm making a standard (4:3) movie. When I add the .png files to iMovie, the image is immediately distorted (see screenshot). The images remain distorted upon export. I can't find a solution ANYWHERE on the internet - Is it possible that I need different dimensions for the .png images? It seems I'm the only person experiencing this, so I think I am missing something very obvious. Please help!User uploaded file

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 10:16 AM

I figured this out thanks to another forum! But since it took be 4 hours to find the answer, I wanted to repost:

Save the .png file in photo shop using the "Save for Web" option.

Select "PNG-8" as the file type on the top right of the save screen.

Drag the file into iMovie as a cutaway like normal.

Thank goodness!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 13, 2013 10:16 AM in response to kelseybethune

I figured this out thanks to another forum! But since it took be 4 hours to find the answer, I wanted to repost:

Save the .png file in photo shop using the "Save for Web" option.

Select "PNG-8" as the file type on the top right of the save screen.

Drag the file into iMovie as a cutaway like normal.

Thank goodness!

Distorted cutaway image in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.