Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when I download an app ?

When i download a program or an app how do I open its zip or user file to make it run and save the programs as in windows. And how do I make the app show up iin my dock.

This is confusing for a newbie like me to the intriguing mac world.

new i5s vs next year

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 11:20 AM

5 replies

Dec 13, 2013 11:39 AM in response to Diablo7

When you download an app it's often delivered as a .dmg file. Double-click to expand it and then either drag the app into the Applications folder or run the installer (it'll be obvious which one when you expand the .dmg file).

You can then eject the window on the desktop (Command+e) once you have copied the app into Applications.

Because of Apple's Gatekeeper security, sometimes you may prevented from expanding the file you downloaded if the developer hasn't had it 'signed' by Apple. To get round this, and assuming you are certain that you have downloaded from a reputable source, either right-click or control click on the file and select 'Open'. The setting that controls this can be found in System Preferences>Security and Privacy>General tab - although it's probably best left at its defaults.

Dec 14, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Paul_31

Previously it was as you suggested up above . But when I downloaded coconut battery it did not show the update arrow at the top of my page but instead showed it on the bottom of my browser and refused to open up the screens mentioned above.

When the dmg file opens after clicking does it automatically run the installer file and then give me an option to put it into the applications folder or do I need to do something.

I know when it is in the applications folder I need to click on options and say keep in dock

when I download an app ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.