Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do about bad battery life on my new retina 13"?

I bought a new 13" late 2013 retina macbook pro 2 weeks ago.I was expecting to get good battery life considering the haswell processor and Apple's battery life claim that the computer should get up to 9 hours.

At the very most I get around 6 hours of battery life. Maybe even 7 hours if I don't watch a single video and do a teeny bit of web browsing and just work on word documents the whole time. For regular usage which means light web browsing and a couple short videos I get only about 4-5 hours of battery life.

The moment I start watching videos, my battery takes a huge hit. A 20 minute flash Non-HD video easily kills 10-20% of my battery. I have also tried HTML 5 videos, they don't seem to make much of a difference in battery life either.

If I started to watch a 1 hour movie on a full charge, I will have about 40-60% battery by the time the movie is over. Two 1 hour movies will easily drain my battery to around 10% if not less.

Is it normal for it to take such a huge hit when watching videos? I didn't buy a $1,000+ laptop to do just a little bit of web browsing.

Does anyone actualy here get 9 hours of usage on their late 2013 retina 13" or other retina models? If so, how? Did you notice good battery life the moment you recieved the laptop? Did you have to change any settings? Did you have to calibrate it a bunch of times? Did you end up exchanging your laptop?

Give me some suggestions. Should I exchange my laptop for another one?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2013 Retina 13"

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 11:58 AM

There are no replies.

What should I do about bad battery life on my new retina 13"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.