Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iphotos stored on my iMac?

I have iphoto 8.1.2 running on an imac with OSX 10.9. I am looking for where my photos and videos in iphoto are stored on my computer. Finder doesn't find them unless they are also saved in the "documents", "downloads" or "pictures" folders.

Other threads say to click in iphoto on "file" and then on "reveal location", but it doesn't appear in my dropdown. Any advice?

HJDS

iPhoto '08, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 12:17 PM

90 replies

Apr 6, 2017 12:15 PM in response to HJDS

By default iPhoto copies the image files into it's library package. The are stored in subfolders inside the Originals folder. The package is not designed to be accessed by the user.

User uploaded file

So if you need a photo for use outside of iPhoto it must be exported via the File ➙ Export menu option. This user tip explains how and is valid for iPhoto 8 libraries: Exporting From iPhoto

Note: the above is predicated on your library being a "managed" library.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apr 6, 2017 12:53 PM in response to Dedados

The best way to access them is to select the photos you want and go to file>export and export them to a folder

That's not only the best way, it's the supported way. Surfing the library risks significant dataloss for the unwary, and what you suggest only gets the master, not any edited versions.

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

Apr 6, 2017 11:39 AM in response to HJDS

I had the same question and the solution I found is this:

• Right-click the 'Photos Library' (the one located in the 'pictures' folder, at least in my case). Its file type is '.photoslibrary' BTW.
  • Click 'Show package contents', this should show you a bunch of other folders.
  • Then, click the 'Masters' folder, in my case and most probably yours it contains all photos in iPhotos.
  • You can then browse your photos, they are saved in folders within folders named after the year and month respectively that you added them in.
  • Explore the different folders and their contents to find your pics!

However:

The best way to access them is to select the photos you want and go to file>export and export them to a folder.

Jan 25, 2017 7:27 AM in response to Yer_Man

I appreciate that you are very knowledgeable and that you are using your own time to help others. Thank you for this. Perhaps you don't realize, though, that everyone inquiring here is not at the same level skill or awareness. They are posting genuine questions using the best phrasing they can, based on their level of understanding. Your guidance (well-meant as I believe it to be) would be more helpful if it was a bit less condescending in tone. A little kinder. Please don't tell people, "it's just that you don't know how to use your Mac." Anyone asking a question here is likely looking for a way to get better at using their Mac. Please be gentle with us. And thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Dec 13, 2013 12:26 PM in response to HJDS

By default, they are stored in your iPhoto Library, and that will be in your Pictures Folder, unless you moved it.

Some FYI:

For help accessing your photos in iPhoto see this user tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4491

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

For more on iPhoto and file management see this User Tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6361

As you're using iPhoto 08 the Reveal command is on the Contextual Menu.

Mar 19, 2014 8:26 PM in response to Yer_Man

I have the same question as the initial one in this thread. When I looked in the pictures folder, all it had were pictures from Photo Booth. I don't recall moving my iPhoto pictures (but it seems I must have since the folder isn't in the Pictures folder). Is there a way I can track down where my iPhoto pictures/videos are stored and move that folder back into the Pictures folder where it's supposed to be?

Mar 19, 2014 9:08 PM in response to LarryHN

I tried his suggestion to right click a photo in iPhoto and choose 'show file'. I found my iPhoto pictures as they came up in this pathway...MacHD>Users>My Name>Library>iPhoto Library>Modified.....however, when I tried to follow this same path starting from the Finder>MacHD>Users>My Name>Library>iPhoto Library...instead of seeing a folder named 'Modified' where all my pictures were, it's just an icon of iPhoto and no folders. This is why I was getting confused and couldn't find my iPhoto pictures.

Now that I've found them, my questions are:

1) Why is there a folder called 'Modified' when I right click a picture in iPhoto and choose 'show file' but there's no folder when I access the iPhoto Library folder from the Finder?

2) Would it be possible to move the 'Modified' folder back to the iPhoto Library folder where (I'm assuming) it belonged in the first place?

Mar 19, 2014 11:11 PM in response to LarryHN

But that's why I asked the question in the first place...my pictures aren't in my iPhoto Library and I have no idea where they are. If you say the pictures should be in my iPhoto Library by default and strongly recommended, I would like them to be there but I have no idea where they are. So I'm trying to find out where they are and how I can put them back in the iPhoto Library folder.

Mar 19, 2014 11:17 PM in response to Alec S.

They probably are in your iPhjoto library - and no matter where they are if iPhoto is working you MUST not mess with them - iPhoto is a SQLite database you if you move anything that is needs it will lose track of it and you may lose things -

this shows that you photos are in fact in your iPhoto library as they should be

I found my iPhoto pictures as they came up in this pathway...MacHD>Users>My Name>Library>iPhoto Library>Modified...
Again you do not directly access them there - you use the provided tools as referenced above

Never muck around in the iPhoto library - it can only cause problems and data loss

LN

Where are my iphotos stored on my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.