Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead screen on iMac -- worth reparing?

A friend gave our family an iMac 2.16 core 2 duo (model A1207). "Everything works fine, except the screen has (apparently) died." Is this worth paying to fix? Fair assumption that the computer has otherwise been well taken care of.

iMac, A1207 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 2:44 PM

Probably not worth it at all, investing any money in a 8 year old comuter simply does not make sense. If you really want an iMac then get an Apple Refurbished model, they are currently available for a low as $1049 and come with full warranty, look and act brand new and are eligible for AppleCare.

3 replies

Dec 13, 2013 2:58 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Yeah, this is the answer I keep coming back to. I have found a site that sells a new LCD screen for $90, but that doesn't mention labor (trying to fix might be over my head) nor the possibility that it's not the screen that needs fixed.

(Site: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/20-Intel-iMac-LCD-p-22191.html)

Does it make any sense to view the iMac through an external monitor?

Dec 13, 2013 3:05 PM in response to EricB336

EricB336 wrote:

Yeah, this is the answer I keep coming back to. I have found a site that sells a new LCD screen for $90, but that doesn't mention labor (trying to fix might be over my head) nor the possibility that it's not the screen that needs fixed.

(Site: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/20-Intel-iMac-LCD-p-22191.html)

Does it make any sense to view the iMac through an external monitor?

Assuming the only thing wrong is the display in theory you could use an external display, getting it to work without seeing the system preferences would be a real trick though. A new display for one of those will cost hundreds, you can look for one on ebay if you want to bother but as mentioning throwing any money at an 8 year old computer simply does not make much sense.

Apple has a recycling program and even on that the thing has zero value.

Dead screen on iMac -- worth reparing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.