Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does the exclamation point mean when I try to open a picture from a thumbnail?

When I try to open a picture from the thumbnail in an Event, I just get an exclamation mark. What does that mean?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 3:54 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2013 3:55 PM in response to mamashelping

It means that iPhoto has lost the link to the original file.

What version of iPhoto do you have?

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

What does the exclamation point mean when I try to open a picture from a thumbnail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.