Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus All-in-One Won't Scan in Mavericks via WiFi

I spent a good chunk of today with HP trying to figure out why my brand new HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus wouldn't scan with Mavericks. They had me startup and shutdown my MBP several times, doing the same with my printer/scanner and my AirPort Extreme. The printer/scanner wouldn't scan with HP Scan nor with Image Capture. I went through 3 levels of tech help to no avail.

They suggested I call Apple and I did. Apple was helpful, and basically tried to make it work, but again to no avail. Finally, it occured to me to try the USB and it scanned, but only with Image Capture and not HP Scan.

The printer part works just fine by the way. The scanner will scan to a USB stick also. But network printing is out.

HP wanted me to ask Apple why Scan Sharing didn't exist any more in System Preferences. The Apple tech didn't know.

So, I have a really nice MBP and a really nice HP 8600 Plus, but I can't scan effectively.

Another issue: While installing the HP Mavericks software the follow error popped up:

System extension cannot be used

The system extension “/System/Library/Extensions/IOFireWireWDHID.kext” was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product’s vendor for an update.

I know I'm not alone.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, My Mac OS is Mavericks

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 4:35 PM

20 replies

Dec 13, 2013 5:38 PM in response to mosqueda

Have you downloaded the new drivers directly from HP for Mavericks ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4159&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&s w_lang=&product=4323659#N181

Here is some info and the version. I have 3 friends plus myself that aren't having any problems using the 8600 over wireless.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 series Full Feature Software and Driver- OS X 10.9 Mavericks
2013-11-05 , Version12.34, 136.32M
This download package contains the full software solution for OS X 10.9 Mavericks including all necessary software and drivers. The full software solution is localized for these languages: Danish

Before installing the above, remove all your printers in your System Prefences/Printers Scanners and reset the printing system.

Dec 14, 2013 10:02 AM in response to Joseph Kriz

We did this, in fact the HP tech had control of my computer remotely and did it no less than 3 times. HP gave up and it appears they're going to refund me the money.

By the way, when I state in my write up "But network printing is out" I meant scanning.

I didn't want to dismiss your suggestion, so I tried it and here's what happened:

User uploaded file

Pretty much it's the same problem. HP claimed I had a corrupted OS file and should wipe my drive and reinstall. There's no way I'm doing that, it's a technique out of the Windows manual.

Dec 14, 2013 11:01 AM in response to mosqueda

It appears then that there is something wrong with the scanning over wireless.

Have you tried using an ethernet cable and see if it works that way?

Like I mentioned, I have setup several of these for friends and we are not having any problems printing or scanning wirelessly to the 8600 using Mavericks.

Did you happen to use the "HP Uninstall" application which removes everything from HP that way, and then reinstall the HP software?

The only other thing I see from your 1st screen shot above is that you have 3 8600 printer in there.

One might be a fax because I can't read it.

But, there should only be one in there for testing.

You can always add the fax part later.

If you right click in that printer window on the left sidebar, you can reset the printing system.

Then there would be no printer in there at all which is where you want to start.

I can't think of anything else.

Dec 14, 2013 11:09 AM in response to mosqueda

Whether it is out of the Windows manual or not the same holds true for OS X. OS X is not perfect even if Apple says it is. Just browse through this and other Apple forums and you will see.

So in some cases the only thing you can do is a Wipe and Reinstall to clear bugs in the operating system.

mosqueda wrote:

Pretty much it's the same problem. HP claimed I had a corrupted OS file and should wipe my drive and reinstall. There's no way I'm doing that, it's a technique out of the Windows manual.

Dec 15, 2013 5:05 PM in response to mosqueda

I had/have the same issue with Mavericks and HP OfficeJet 8600. Decided to bite the bullet with a complete reinstall, but also did a quick experiment.

1. Wiped the disk

2. Fresh install of Mavericks, plus updates

3. Downloaded and installed HP Officejet Pro 8600 series Full Feature Software and Driver- OS X 10.9 Mavericks

4. Launched HP Utilities and configured.

Everything worked... printing, hp scan, and scan to computer.

5. Performed a "Software Update" ... Saw the "HP Printer Software Update Version 2.16.1" and updated.

HP Scan and Scan to Computer stopped working (Scanner reported an error. An error occured during scanning). Also notice Image Capture is not working. It appears is not no longer configured correctly.

MAC with HP 2.16.1 Update, when nothing was working:

User uploaded file

MAC with NO HP 2.16.1 update - AKA when everything was working.

User uploaded file

Dec 15, 2013 6:16 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

No. I am not going through another install process. This is an issue with the HP 2.16.1 update. They need to fix it.

I have also been in touch with HP support, they recommended the followig, which also did not work:

Please try these steps and we'll call you for another follow-up on the case:

Uninstall the HP Software by running HP Uninstaller

Open Activity Monitor and quit all HP related processes

Go to System Preferences and access Printers & Scanners

Delete the HP Printer on the list

Access your HD's Library and delete all HP related files & folders under this folder

-->>application support/hp

-->>caches

-->>documentation/help

-->>frameworks

-->>image capture/scripts

-->>image capture/support

-->>image capture/twain data sources

-->>image capture/devices

-->>preferences

-->>printers

-->>startupitems

Restart your Mac Computer

Empty the trash

Repair Disk Permissions

Add the Printer on the Printers & Scanners window

Run Software Update

Try scanning using Image Capture (Image Capture works better with Mac OS X 10.9)

Install the HP Full Feature Software once Image Capture is working

Dec 15, 2013 8:07 PM in response to jsmith0475

For what it is worth, I installed the HP OfficeJet 8600 software for 10.8 (Officejet-Pro-8600_v12.23.0) and everything works. I did this a couple of time, the first one I upgraded (HP-Inkjet-SW-OSX-Mavericks_v12.34.37) after confirming everything worked with Officejet-Pro-8600_v12.23.0. That failed the same way.

I then uninstalled the HP software and reinstalled Officejet-Pro-8600_v12.23.0... it worked. Print, HP Scan, and Scan to Computer.

Go figure.

HP OfficeJet 8600 Plus All-in-One Won't Scan in Mavericks via WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.