Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different colours on bars?

I have a single data series that produces a bar chart and I would like to modify tha chart so that each bar has a different colour. Is this possible?

Thanks

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 2:20 AM

11 replies

Dec 14, 2013 5:23 AM in response to Schrodinger56

You are really trying to go against the grain of how a chart is supposed to work with a data series.

If you want them to be different colors, you need to plot each as a separate series. Because you only have one data series, you can do this:

Click on your chart then look at the lower left corner of the Numbers window and it should have "Plot Columns as Series". Click on that and change it to "Plot Rows as Series". For the labels on the X axis, you can make your lables manually it with text boxes or semi-automatically with a 1-row table and some formulas. In my example I moved the legend down to the axis and stretched it out until it matched where the bars were.

User uploaded file

Dec 14, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Schrodinger56

That does work but my all my x axis labels all disappear.

Yes, that is true. Which is why I wrote this:

"For the labels on the X axis, you can make your labels manually with text boxes or semi-automatically with a 1-row table and some formulas. In my example I moved the legend down to the axis and stretched it out until it matched where the bars were."

Dec 14, 2013 6:05 PM in response to Schrodinger56

Hi Schrodinger,

"I think I'll just have to accept that a single colour will have to suffice and my liking for multicoloured charts will have to take a back seat on this project!"

That acceptance may represent a breakthrough in the clarity of your charts.

Colour can be used as an informative element in a chart, to draw attention to a single bar in a bar chart, to distinguish between data of different series (the default in Numbers), or to mark data points that cross thresholds (eg. temperatures above or below freezing, or within specific ranges).

If colours on the chart do not carry meaning, then they add noise, distract from the elements that do carry meaning (eg. the length of a particular bar), and make the chart less readable.

User uploaded file

(True also for text in ALL CAPS. 😉)

Regards,

Barry

Different colours on bars?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.