Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete new Admin user after installing Maverick???

I installed Maverick over Lion on my MacBook Air 2011. After doing so I went through all the inital setup questions etc and then at the end froze. So I did it again creating a 3rd Admin user profile. It worked that time. I was able to delete the 3rd user Admin but am not able to delete the new one I made when I installed Maverick as that new Admin user is greyed out. The reason I want to do this is that all my files I added to my MBA are in my original Admin user profile from when I originally got the MBA Christmas 2011. There is nothing devastating that I will lose if I cannot keep the original Admin user profile but it will save time if I can revert to it and delete the new one I created when installing Maverick. How can I achieve this?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 7:19 AM

29 replies

Dec 14, 2013 9:52 AM in response to madrich

You would think so. I tried it. Wouldn't allow me. It started to as if it was working then said something like account could not be deleted due to an error but did not give an error code. Now I have changed my old original Admin user profile to "standard" user profile and logged into the new one I set up when I installed Maverick. Even after I "click the lock to make changes" and put in my password so that I am able to make changes the old Admin which is now a standard user profile is greyed out and I cannot delete. I do not know what to try now. I have so far exhausted everything I could think of to do including what you suggested above madrich which I had already tried. Thanks for trying to help!

Dec 14, 2013 2:14 PM in response to CynicChick

Change it back to Admin, then see if you can use Directory Utility to delete the unwanted user, after logging out of it & into the 'original' or any other account.

Open System Preferences - Users & Groups

Click the lock at bottom left & unlock it with an admin name/password.

Click ‘Login Options’ above the lock; then ‘Network Account Server : Join’

In the small window that opens - choose ‘Open Directory Utility’

( or open it directly : /System/Library/CoreServices/Directory Utility )

Click the lock at bottom left of Directory Utility & authenticate as an admin.

Click 'Directory Editor’, then select the user that you want to remove in the left pane & click the - button at the bottom. Double-check that you are deleting the right user, then confirm the delete.

Reboot afterwards, then remove the deleted user's home folder.

User uploaded file

Can't delete new Admin user after installing Maverick???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.