Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading late 2010 MacBook Pro

I have a late 2010 MacBook Pro and was wondering if it was possible to take it to an Apple retail store and possibly have it upgraded. I am aware it's a few years old, but I am also aware that they can upgrade new ones in the store, so I was wondering it it was possible to upgrade mine. Is it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 9:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 9:42 AM

I've got the same model. The only upgrades you can really do are to increase the RAM and change the hard drive. The max RAM is 8GB. Personally, I think the best upgrade you can do is to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Everything loads so much faster it's like having a new machine. As a matter of fact, my 2010 loads much faster than my friend's 2013 13".

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Matrix X2

I've got the same model. The only upgrades you can really do are to increase the RAM and change the hard drive. The max RAM is 8GB. Personally, I think the best upgrade you can do is to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Everything loads so much faster it's like having a new machine. As a matter of fact, my 2010 loads much faster than my friend's 2013 13".

Dec 14, 2013 9:50 AM in response to Matrix X2

The 2010 model is a max of 8GB. Trust me, I've looked. You could buy the RAM directly from Apple, but you'd pay a lot more getting it from them. I personally used RAM from Other World Computing and a 500 gig Crucial SSD and just installed the stuff myself. Save the RAM in case you ever do need to have Apple service it for some issue, as they're very picky about having their RAM in it if they do a repair. Other World Computing has videos on their site which explain how to do these things. If you're handy at all, I'd say do it yourself.

Dec 14, 2013 3:26 PM in response to Matrix X2

Matrix X2,

based on your initial post, you have a 15-inch Mid 2010 MacBook Pro; there were no Late 2010 MacBook Pro models. Among the Mid 2010 MacBook Pros, only the 2.4 GHz 13-inch model can support 16 GB of RAM, and then only if it runs OS X 10.7.5 or later. Both the RAM and the SSDs can be non-Apple, as long as they meet the requirements* of your MacBook Pro, and both are easily self-installable. Note that you’ll need a T6 Torx screwdriver to take the four T6 Torx screws out of your current HD (which keep it in place within your MacBook Pro) and put them into your SSD.

* — Look at Chapter 3 of the little white User Guide that came with your MacBook Pro, or just look for compatibility with your model of MacBook Pro when shopping around.

Upgrading late 2010 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.