Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone know how to fix Magic Mouse scrolling issues?

I just unboxed my brand-new 27" iMac and have been merrily computing for a day and a half. Suddenly the magic mouse stops scrolling in Firefox. I Google the issue and find that broken scrolling is often associated with the Mavericks upgrade, albeit most commonly with Chrome.

My experience: in Firefox, scrolling quits working within a few moments of opening the app. Restarting Firefox fixes it only temporarily. Oddly, I have noticed that when attempting to scroll up and down on a blank Firefox window, scrollable open windows behind the Firefox window (App Store or iTunes, for example) will begin to scroll. Another bizarre feature of the glitch seems to be that functionality will spontaneously return for no apparent reason, only to break again soon thereafter.

Because this loss of functionality has put a serious hitch in my gitalong, I have been investigating many threads on many fora detailing fixes and workarounds. These include re-installing Mavericks and resetting PRAM and so forth, but since I'm working off a spanking-new factory-fresh install on a pristine machine, I am reluctant to go to such lengths, particularly since success has not been uniformly reported with these measures.

Other suggestions that have not been fruitful: disabling 2-finger swipe in mouse prefs and restarting the iMac. Selecting "Always show scroll bars" in System Preferences is touted as a workaround, and it does enable scrolling after a fashion, but in my view is not sufficiently convenient to replace scrolling from the mouse itself.

All other apps seem unaffected at this point, but I note that these are early days.

I was wondering if anybody has been able to determine the origin of this bug, whether it is a function of Mavericks, Firefox, the Magic Mouse, or the unholy spawn of all three working together, and also if there is any real solution. Thanks, yall!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 11:15 AM

9 replies

Dec 14, 2013 3:43 PM in response to Twisty

I have noticed that the few times it has happened to me (very early on in the Mavericks process), that if I just went to bluetooth and disconnected then re-connected my Magic Mouse that the problem went away. For me it appears that it was somethign bluetooth related, and dropping the connection and reestablishing it would resolve the issue.

Dec 14, 2013 7:15 PM in response to Donald Morgan

Thanks all, it's not the mouse; since posting my original question I have experienced the issue using not only a totally different Magic Mouse, but an old third-party USB mouse as well. From reading other threads on this issue it seems the consensus is that it's a Mavericks thing and, as is usual for weird intermittent problems with high frustration factors and no clear cause, one must simply learn to live with it and hope that the next OS update will resolve it. Not an auspicious beginning for my new Mac, alas.

Jan 3, 2014 11:06 PM in response to tbirdvet

Holy crap, this fixes the issue. At least temporarily it has. I should add that my issue was single finger forward/back swipe stopped working on the magic mouse in Firefox since Mavericks came along. I have been fighting this since I upgraded to Mavericks a few months ago. Thank you, tbirdvet. You have no idea how much easier you just made using my iMac again. 🙂

Message was edited by: wadems

Anyone know how to fix Magic Mouse scrolling issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.