Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remote Button does not appear in iTunes 11

Any ideas on how to get the remote button to appear?

I'm running iTunes 11.1.3 (8) on an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with OS X 10.9.

I've changed my Sharing Preferences to "Share my library on my local network" and "Home Sharing computers and devices update play counts".

I think I know where to look for it: right next to the iTunes button, where an iPad button would appear if you were to plug one in.

I've clicked "View > Show sidebar"; there is no remote button on the list.

I've turned iTunes off and on again on the desktop.

I've turned Remote off and on again on the device.

I've rebooted both the desktop and the device.

Still no remote button!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2017 12:28 PM

The remote button should look like this:

User uploaded file

Your device must be able to connect to the same network as your computer uses. It won't work if you're using a guest network or wireless isolation features, and it is possible that any firewall could block the connection. The icon shows for me within a second or two of tapping Add an iTunes Library in the Remote app, so if you don't see it that would suggest some sort of connectivity issue. See Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support.

tt2

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2017 12:28 PM in response to wildspring

The remote button should look like this:

User uploaded file

Your device must be able to connect to the same network as your computer uses. It won't work if you're using a guest network or wireless isolation features, and it is possible that any firewall could block the connection. The icon shows for me within a second or two of tapping Add an iTunes Library in the Remote app, so if you don't see it that would suggest some sort of connectivity issue. See Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support.

tt2

Sep 3, 2017 6:41 PM in response to wildspring

I had the same issue; then I went into the windows Task Manager, and forced exit for all of the Apple services (I am using iTunes on Windows 10). Type Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get Task Manager to come up. Maye I turned off too much, but I forced exit on iPodService Module, iCloud, and a few other Appley-sounding apps. Then I ran connect to library in the remote app in my iPhone, and then started iTunes on the PC, and there is the Remote icon!

Dec 16, 2013 12:11 PM in response to Scott Romans

Hi Scott,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. The Remote app does not appear in the iTunes library; instead, the iTunes library appears in the Remote app which you can then use to manipulate that library. This article has some information that might help:

About Remote app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1947

This page also has some additional information:

Apple - Apps - Remote

http://www.apple.com/apps/remote/

Cheers,

- Ari

Dec 17, 2013 3:58 AM in response to Scott Romans

I had this problem for weeks as well. The way I finally managed to do it the other day was simply by opening the remote app on my phone first and then clicking on 'add an iTunes library' within settings which then gives you a code. Only then do you open iTunes on your PC and then it magically appears next to the iTunes buitton in the top right hand corner, like you said. Then just click on it and put in your code and you should be connected. (I am assuming of course that you have home sharing switched on on both your phone and iTunes on your PC)

Previously when I tried it I had already had iTunes open on my computer and the remote button just didn't appear. I would be interested if this works for everyone or whether I was just lucky!

Apr 9, 2016 12:40 PM in response to karenandrei

This does NOT work. I have Home Sharing turned ON on the iPhone and the iTunes application in the PC. I followed the sequence of selecting "Add an iTunes Library from the iPhone Settings, and then launching iTunes. The Remote button will NOT appear anywhere on the iTunes window bar.

Does anyone know what the solution is to bring up the Remote button in order to pair the iPhone Remote app to the Windows iTunes.

Remote Button does not appear in iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.