Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Win 7 install compatible with Mavericks?

I've tried 3 different WIn 7 disks and none will install on my mid 2010 iMac running Mavericks. Had Win 7 istalled on Snow Leopard. Is the install of Win 7 compatible with Mavericks, at least on my machine?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9), mid 2010

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 11:12 AM

13 replies

Dec 14, 2013 1:57 PM in response to Gary Scotland

That's what I have tried. It appears that everything installs but states the install will now quit becuase of a problem. Upon a restart, a message reports that "boot mgr" is missing press, cont-alt-delete to reboot. Looking at the windows partition (in Mac OS) it appears that everything has been installed. Same for all attempts to install with different disks. The only problem I had with the same install disk, when running SL, was with drivers.

Dec 15, 2013 12:07 PM in response to calbob84

I am wondering if my Win 7 problem may be associated with Mavericks itself?? I am having problems with Safari crashing, as a matter of fact it crashed while on this page and last night it crashed 4 times before it stayed stable; I have zero extensions on Safari. When Safari came up and remained satble, the format of the page was entirely different? No windows like you see on this page, rather indivdual paragraphs and in color?? I will now see if I can find out how to install a clean version of Mavericks?? Also, Mavericks is very slow in loading.

Dec 17, 2013 5:27 PM in response to calbob84

Thanks to Gary Scotland for the previous help. I am in a bit of quandy of how to proceed from here because I cannot creat a partition nor does any of the "command-r or command-option-r" entries work. I do have the Mavericks install (5.9Gb) on a USB flash drive but I'm not sure it is bootable. Maybe I should start from the Snow Leopard Disks I have??

Apr 27, 2014 4:07 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary Scotland wrote:

....Any new version of the operating system should be clean installed; hard drive repartition then OS install....

I beg to differ on that. I have upgraded "in place" for many years

without any issues whatsoever. The clean install is a last resort.

If the system is clean and running well and everything is up to date,

an "in place" upgrade will not be an issue.

FWIW to the OP, unless there is a dire need to install native via

Bootcamp, i.e. highend gaming or any very highend graphical

application, it will be much easier to just use the virtual machine

approach. The added bonus is that you never leave OSX and

the "Windows PC" will just be an application in OSX with its own

window.

Apr 27, 2014 7:02 AM in response to woodmeister50

I have upgraded "in place" for many years

without any issues whatsoever. The clean install is a last resort.

If the system is clean and running well and everything is up to date,

an "in place" upgrade will not be an issue.

My advice is to the person having severe dificulties with Mavericks and not to anyone else.

The clean install is a last resort.

I think the OP is there.

Is Win 7 install compatible with Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.