Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to SSD and copying all content from old drive?

Hello,

I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro currently running 10.9 and wish to upgrade my original 5400rpm hard drive to an SSD.

My MBP did not come with any install disks and came with Snow Leopard installed. I have since upgraded to 10.9 Maverick.

How should I proceed in terms of copying my current drive (incl Software, Applications and documents) to the new SSD? Should I use Carbon Cloner? I have heard that a simple clone will not copy the restore partition which will be required in case of a restore in the future? I would want this as I have no disks.

Is there a step by step guide anywhere please?

I have the new SSD and a caddy so that I can plug it in if required. I should also add that I have a time capsule if that helps?

Thanks in advance.

S

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 12:04 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You can do it without any external drive. You just need a SATA to USB adapter to connect the old HDD to your Mac.

First of all, replace the HDD by the new SSD, and then, start up your Mac while holding down Command, Option (Alt) and R keys. This will make your Mac start up into Internet Recovery.

Then, you can use Disk Utility's Restore feature to clone the old HDD onto the SSD, but first format the SSD in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU1.html Then, use Restore > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU7.html

Finally, restart your Mac and unplug the old HDD, and OS X will start up.

Another way is to make a backup of your files onto the Time Capsule you mentioned you have got with Time Machine. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427 Then, install the SSD and follow the same steps to start up into Internet Recovery and format the SSD, but then, close Disk Utility and choose the option to restore the Time Machine backup

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2013 12:04 PM in response to SanjL

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

You can do it without any external drive. You just need a SATA to USB adapter to connect the old HDD to your Mac.

First of all, replace the HDD by the new SSD, and then, start up your Mac while holding down Command, Option (Alt) and R keys. This will make your Mac start up into Internet Recovery.

Then, you can use Disk Utility's Restore feature to clone the old HDD onto the SSD, but first format the SSD in "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU1.html Then, use Restore > http://pondini.org/OSX/DU7.html

Finally, restart your Mac and unplug the old HDD, and OS X will start up.

Another way is to make a backup of your files onto the Time Capsule you mentioned you have got with Time Machine. See > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1427 Then, install the SSD and follow the same steps to start up into Internet Recovery and format the SSD, but then, close Disk Utility and choose the option to restore the Time Machine backup

Dec 14, 2013 12:49 PM in response to mende1

Thanks for your response.

1) Would your method copy the "hidden" Mavericks restore partition also?

2) Should I format the new ssd before I fit it into the MBP? using Disk Utility or can this be done after booting having put the ssd in?

This is starting to feel a lot more complicated than I first thought... 😟

Thanks,

Dec 14, 2013 12:57 PM in response to mende1

Thanks.

If I don't have OSX on a DVD, how can I install it onto the SSD please?

So the process should be:

(1) Format SSD > (2) Install OSX > (3) Fit SSD > (4) Connect old HD via USB > (5) Boot from internal SSD > (6) Restore files through setup assistant . (7) Finished?

Cheers for your help.

Dec 14, 2013 12:59 PM in response to SanjL

SanjL wrote:

If I don't have OSX on a DVD, how can I install it onto the SSD please?

I told you to use Internet Recovery. This will allow you to do, among other things, to restore a Time Machine backup, reinstall OS X, and use Safari and Disk Utility

SanjL wrote:

So the process should be:

(1) Format SSD > (2) Install OSX > (3) Fit SSD > (4) Connect old HD via USB > (5) Boot from internal SSD > (6) Restore files through setup assistant . (7) Finished?

You can install the SSD inside your MacBook in the first step, and then do all the process, but what you suggested is fine. Also, read my last reply

Dec 14, 2013 1:00 PM in response to Csound1

@Csound1 - So should I connect the SSD via USB, do the format using the method proposed by mende1, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the SSD? Once the clone is complete then I should just swap the drives around? Is it as easy as that?

Will I lose or jeapordise anything by doing it this way?

Would the timecapsule continue automatic wireless backups thinking that it is the same drive in the MBP?

Dec 14, 2013 1:08 PM in response to SanjL

SanjL wrote:

So should I connect the SSD via USB, do the format using the method proposed by mende1, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the SSD?

You do not need to use Carbon Copy Cloner in your case.

SanjL wrote:

Would the timecapsule continue automatic wireless backups thinking that it is the same drive in the MBP?

If you use Time Machine, it will make automatic, hourly backups to the Time Capsule. If what you do is to restore a Time Machine backup, Time Machine will think you are using the same drive, but if not, it will start a new set of backups

Dec 14, 2013 1:11 PM in response to SanjL

SanjL wrote:

@Csound1 - So should I connect the SSD via USB, do the format using the method proposed by mende1, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to the SSD? Once the clone is complete then I should just swap the drives around? Is it as easy as that?

Will I lose or jeapordise anything by doing it this way?

Just format the SSD, connect it externally or internally, it makes no difference which. Clone the old drive to the new drive and (if the the SSD is external) swap the drives.

Dec 15, 2013 10:00 AM in response to Csound1

Ok guys.

So I've cloned and replaced the old drive with the SSD. Thanks for your help.

However, I wanted to do a time machine backup with the new drive. I clicked "backup now" and all I see is a "preparing backup" message for the last 20 minutes.

Have I screwed something up?

Could it be because the new SSD is twice the capacity of the original HD?

Help! please.

Thanks,

Dec 27, 2013 10:13 AM in response to mende1

Thanks for all the help. It seems to be working fine APART from one thing - when the Macbook is left unattended for a short time, it normally goes to sleep. If you pressed any button or tapped any key during this time it would almost instantly re-start/awake when the original mechanical drive was in there.

However, with this new SSD, the machine is unresponsive for a few minutes after sleeping sometimes! Almost to the point where I think it has just crashed..!

There is no response at all during this time. Even the light on the front which usually pulses stays on solid. Do I need to change a setting somewhere?

(Help!)

Upgrading to SSD and copying all content from old drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.