Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I

Hi, Can anyone please explain to me what purpose the detachable part of the Charger serves. My charger has atear on the cord where it joins the charger and doesn't work now. I was wondering if it couod be repaired or if the charges itself can be used after removing the small detachable portion.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 11:42 AM

2 replies

Dec 14, 2013 11:55 AM in response to ouma65

thats for adding on a diff. plug for diff countries OR to add the extension cord for longer reaching.

split cable at where in enters the charging block? Hmm, yes, youd need a new charger.

been winding it too tight? 😟

Contact Apple for a look and replacement, or you can purchase a replacement. But see what your Apple store says.

Careful with your charger and its cable

Do not make any hard bends or folds in your charging cable, or wind it tightly, always make either circles or loose loops when winding your cord up for storage. Also do not, as many people have seen, unroll your charger block from the magsafe end by letting the charger drop and unroll itself like a yo-yo, this is both hard on the charger and its connection points at both ends.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1630

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

I

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.