Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dragging tabbed window leaves ghost?

OK, this is really more of an annoyance, but it's odd, and I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed it.

When I Cmd-open a window (to make it open in a new window, it goes to a tab. Normally this is fine, but if I'm sorting files from folder to folder, it's easier to have them side by side. But if I drag a tabbed window out, so as to make is a separate window, the drag preview (mini image of the window) gets left on my desktop. It's not clickable or selectable, and if I close all windows, the Finder doesn't recognize it as an open window. Here it is:

User uploaded file

Has anyone else seen this, or know what causes it? I have noticed that Mavericks has some odd issues with desktop images (e.g. the Launchpad icon/dock prefs thing), but this is a new one.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 27" 3.4 Ghz Core i7

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 12:00 PM

29 replies

Dec 25, 2013 8:02 PM in response to Ravenmoon

But the detail is... I don't have any of those apps installed (iMac).

I had TotalFinder installed once, but I completely removed it since I updated to Mavericks.

And I try to reproduce the bug in a MacBook Pro with a clean installation of Mavericks and it's not happening there... So I'm more confused now.

Dec 25, 2013 8:19 PM in response to Lutv

Are you certain all of TotalFinder was removed? This program by Etresoft can help show what is loading: http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Here is the thread that implicated TotalFinder. Another person implicated XtraFinder.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5474007?answerId=23490070022#23490070022

You can check to see if it is third-party related by running in Safe Mode. If it works in Safe Mode, you have something running that is messing with it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564

Mar 5, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Mike Berson

Mike Berson wrote:

Thank you for responding to my comment.

Actually no, I'm not sure at all. When I get the chance I'll figure out what files to look for and where to find them.

Once fully uninstlled I'll post back with the results.

I've never used the software, but I imagine it must install more than just an application to do what it does, so if you only moved the app to the trash, I'm concerned that there was more to it left behind.

Mar 5, 2014 6:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Yep. I'm still having the problem, is very annoying, no one seems to have a solution, advice, trick, I thought: - with 10.9.2 OS X version maybe the problem will be fixed... - Didn't happen 😐

PS. I had once TotalFinder

PS 2. I uninstalled it with AppCleaner to ensure that everything is gone. No solution for the problem.

Mar 5, 2014 6:41 PM in response to Lutv

Sorry. All the situations I had seen before were tied to totalfinder or pathfinder (can't remember if it was one, the other, or both). I know there was at least one other thread here that had the same problem. There may be more info there, but I haven't seen it pop up as updated in my list of posts and I don't remember anything more. May be worthwhile hunting for it, though.

The System shrinks the window down like that, but it shouldn't remain. Something is interfering at the point that it is shrunk down. To me, the whole effect is kind of hokey.

Mar 5, 2014 7:13 PM in response to Ravenmoon

Hey Ravenmoon,

I would suggest clearing all your caches.

Clear User Cache

1. Open Finder, press CMD + Shift + G, paste ~/Library/ into that window and press return.

2. In the Library folder you will see a folder labeled Caches. Close all running applications, and then drag this folder to the trash.

Safe Boot:

1. Turn your computer off.

2. While you turn the computer back on, immediately hold the Shift key until you see an Apple logo with the loading bar underneath.

3. It will load your login page with your user, log in from here.

4. Reboot your computer.

This will clear your system cache.

Let me know if that helps!

Dragging tabbed window leaves ghost?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.