Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed new HD on Mid-2009 MBP, installed Mavericks, now getting "error code -50" after being on for a while.

So I had the stock 320gb drive that came with my machine. It started crashing, so I pre-empted the loss of data and installed a spare Western Digital 500gb Scorpio Blue drive, installed Mavericks, and restored my data. Almost immediately I began having sporadic issues with the machine being unable to write to the disk, giving me "error code -50" after being on for about a day or so. I usually just restart and it will work for another day or so, but this is getting very tedious, and I'm a bit worried it might be straining the machine, since I can only hard restart (holding power button) when this happens. Usually, right after restarting, I repair the disk permissions, and this seems to fix things.

Is this maybe a bad OS install? Maybe I should back up and try it all again? Or is there a software issue I'm not seeing a solution for anywhere? Most people who are getting the "error code -50" messages seem to be getting them on external drives. Is it just a compatibility issue and I need to seek a new drive?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), WDC WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0 hard drive

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 12:48 PM

8 replies

Dec 18, 2013 2:46 AM in response to JakeRidesAgain

I have the same problem with Mid-2009 MBP and WDC WD5000BEVT-24A0RT0 (replaces the stock HDD). It began some or more days after upgrading from OS X 10.8 to 10.9, there were no issues before. I have suspected the foolish force restart I made when one probably system process made the computer unresponsive for some hours already, it was not mds as I remember and the process continued after restarting I guess. It takes too much time to test reinstalling everything including a lot of MacPorts ports and moving files back and forth, but I am already thinking about doing that soon.

Dec 18, 2013 5:36 AM in response to JakeRidesAgain

It has been my observation that WD black drives are preferred to the blue and green ones on these forums. It may be to your advantage if you can make a switch. (I do not use WD HDDs)

I would check to see if the WD HDD has its own Sudden Motion Sensor. If so, it may be coming in conflict with the one in the Mac. If that is the case, I suggest disabling the SMS in the Mac.

Ciao.

Dec 18, 2013 8:18 AM in response to JakeRidesAgain

JakeRidesAgain,

this could be indicative of a faulty internal SATA cable. Do you have an external drive enclosure, or a SATA-to-USB or SATA-to-FireWire cable? If so, try putting your original 320 MB hard drive into your external enclosure, or attach it to your SATA-to-whatever cable, attach it to your MacBook Pro, and boot while holding down an Option key — this will give you a list of drives from which to boot. Pick your external drive, and do some stuff while booted from the external drive. If it behaves normally, then that could point to your internal SATA cable as the culprit.

Reteep,

you could try the same thing as well.

Dec 18, 2013 10:18 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you for the tips!

OGELTHORPE wrote:

I would check to see if the WD HDD has its own Sudden Motion Sensor. If so, it may be coming in conflict with the one in the Mac. If that is the case, I suggest disabling the SMS in the Mac.

WD5000BEVT does indeed have it's own protection:

ShockGuard™ - Leading-edge ShockGuard technology combines firmware and hardware advancements to protect the drive mechanics and platter surface to meet the highest combined shock tolerance specifications required for mobile and notebook applications.

Source: http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases/?release=3cd471a1-66be-46ba-9f6 7-e15298b0f8a0

Even though I read about it I had not touched any SMS settings in OS X since I did not have any problems before. I disabled SMS in Mac, let's see now.

Melophage wrote:

this could be indicative of a faulty internal SATA cable. /.../

Reteep,

you could try the same thing as well.

In my case I doubt it is the problem because it worked fine before Mavericks, although forcing restart may have done something. I hope disabling SMS helped.

Dec 23, 2013 9:08 AM in response to Reteep

Disabling SMS did not help, the problem has occured again twice in the last two days.

It appears that even though WD5000BEVT has ShockGuard, it does not have Free Fall Sensor:

http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/drsdownloads/Western%20Digital%20Model%20Numb ers.pdf

SMS seems to be combination of those two:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1935

Disabling SMS seems to add some lag that I hadn't understood before when the laptop gets moved. Also, I suspect that battery life increased, but I am not that sure yet.

Dec 27, 2013 7:41 AM in response to Reteep

I tried both steps described here onwards, but the problem still occurs (I had over 5000 such files):

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5419668?answerId=23325835022#23325835022

Be careful when trying step 2 yourself, I saw forum threads where it says that it forces Time Machine to back up everything again and therefore may cause inconvenience dumping old backups or/and increasing space used.

Additional information I noticed:

$ macerror -50

Mac OS error -50 (paramErr): error in user parameter list

To test: try in external enclosure; new user account; reinstall OS X without reverting settings from backups.

Installed new HD on Mid-2009 MBP, installed Mavericks, now getting "error code -50" after being on for a while.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.