Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internal speakers missing — Maverick Bug!

Greetings,

I am running Maverick. A couple of days ago sound stopped being output from the internal speakers.

On the 'Sound' part of the System Preferences their is no longer a 'Internal Speaker' option (just 'Digital Out').

It's not a hardware problem because when i restart the computer I hear the start up sound when I log in as the user the problem occurs.

I have done the following to no avail:

-Started in safe boot

- Reset Pram

- Deleted cache files such as 'com.apple.soundpref.plist' and a few other recommended in various forums.

- Plugged in and out the headphones jack a million times in all sorts of variations (headphones work)

- Toothpick jiggling

- Itunes and headphone jack pluging/unplugging juggling

- Repaired permissions

Help! This is really annoying. What sort of software malfunction does this. Crazy.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 3:00 PM

13 replies

Dec 14, 2013 3:23 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

yeah, thats not a software malf. but hardware switch

It means your digital audio out has switched on. You can insert a plastic toothpick in the hole and try and switch it off. The switch should be at the 3 o'clock position and go towards the 6 o'clock position. Some people also have had luck inserting their headphone jack and pulling out a few times. Another recent report was that inserting the headphone jack and turning it in the hole helped.

another report:

locate a little tab in the headphone jack which I found in the 9 o'clock position, I put slight pressure on it downward toward the 6 o'clock position

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3694502

Dec 18, 2013 7:32 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

Try taking (preferably a can of compressed moisture fre air and give it a few blasts, maybe there is some "gunk" that is causing the switch to hang. You can also try blowing into it use a cloth to minimize any moisture, the compressed air is a much better choice.

If no joy, follow Plotinus's advice and bring it in, the microswitch may have failed.

Jan 2, 2014 12:49 PM in response to sanjampet

I have done all sorts of fiddling with the jack itself to no avail.. 😟

Is there anyway I can disengage the optical out from the software end. Delete something, change something. I will never use this function. I am overseas right now and doing extensive travelling, so i am in no position to take it to the service. This problem occurred straight after Maverick update.

Jan 11, 2014 2:57 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

Upon resetting the SMC now the headphone jack is not working.

When i connect the headphones SYSTEM PREF shows HEADPHONES for a second then switches to OPTICAL OUT.

I am a touring musician and it's impossible for me to re-install the system, it'd cripple my operation.

Is there a terminal code that would kill OPTICAL OUT altogether?

I need to get the headphones to work as well, now, i am buggered.

Thanks

Jan 11, 2014 3:13 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

Have you tried a pram reset:

Power off, power back up holding the following keys:

OPTION COMMAND P R

Hold these keys till you hear the start chime 3 times, then release, reboot.

There are a couple of things to try, no garuntees, and you should do a back up first. If this don't work OSX reinstall is the path.

You can give this a try.

Close all windows and quit all applications.

Click "Go" menu in the Finder menubar.

Select Computer, then Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences

Open "Audio" folder.

Right click these two files and select "Move to Trash".

com.apple.audio.DevicesSettings.plist

com.apple.audio.SystemSettings.plist

Close the window. Restart the computer

Go to Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup/Built-In Output/Output and in Format change from the default 2ch-24bit integer to any other format (say, 2ch-32bit float). This should activate the headphone jack. I moved the format back to the original 2ch-24 integer setting and the headphones continued working. So it seems that (for some reason) the original default setting does not recognize a headphone being inserted, but after performing this "resetting" it seems to come to its senses and behave properly from then on

Jan 22, 2014 9:37 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

Hey,

I just had this problem and found a VERY simple solution posted on youtube. Basically, do the following:

1.) plug in a set of headphones

2.) go to the sound menu in system preferences

3.) make sure "Headphones" is displayed in the outputs list

4.) return to the system preferences menu

5.) unplug headphones

6.) return to the "Sound" menu and internal speakers should be listed and functioning

If that didn't make too much sense, here is a link to the youtube video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di0JBHa8MiI

Hope that helps

Jan 23, 2014 6:46 PM in response to Man Eating Seas

I had the same problem tonight and was able to fix it with headphones as suggested by several others above.

BUT it took several discouraging tries over an hour or two so this is a case where patience and persistence might pay off! It was not an instant fix; it took some fiddling.

I also restarted a few times, reset the PRAM, and tried with a toothpick. I'm not sure if any of that influenced the outcome or not.

Good luck & thanks for the advice!

Internal speakers missing — Maverick Bug!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.