Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 11 - View Playlist and Library at same time...

(I have not heard of this but found it the other day...)

View a playlist in a separate pane on the right side of iTunes music.

Turn off iTunes sidebar. (iTunes menu View > Hide sidebar)

At top of iTunes, select Playlists.

Now you see your playlists on the left side of iTunes.

Select one (not a smart playlist), right click > Edit playlist.

You will now see the playlist on the side and the Music on the left.

You can still view music by Songs, Albums, Artist, Composers, Genre and drag songs to the right into the playlist.

User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 4:06 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2014 12:38 PM in response to Chris CA

Hmm, does not work for me. When I cick Edit playist, it changes to Artist view, with giant icons of albums, starting with A, and on the left, I no longer see playlists, just list of artists, starting with A, with smaller icons.

User uploaded file

If I click on Playlists on top, it goes back to original view, with no playlist open on right.

Feb 27, 2014 12:43 PM in response to raripps

What does not work for you?

raripps wrote:

Hmm, does not work for me. When I cick Edit playist, it changes to Artist view,

This is your library.

Then click one of the other tabs across top to view your library by, songs, albums, artist, etc.

I no longer see playlists,

The playlist you are editing in shown on the right.

Feb 27, 2014 2:46 PM in response to Chris CA

Hi Chris,

I appreciate the response & help.

As I mentioned, when I try this, it goes to Artists view, and when I click on the tabs on top, yes it goes to songs, but I loose the open playlist on the right.

Strangely, I just tried this one more time, and after not working a least 5 times in a row, it does now show me the selected playlist. Weird.

All in all, having to hide the sidebar, click on tab to select playlist, but be able to select only one playlist at a time to edit, then having to go back and click on Artists tab (as iTunes has now selected Songs or sometimes Albums), scroll to find artist (or using clunky pop-down window, and selecting the artist), all before I can start working on a playlist is a pretty complicated workaround to compensate for a loss in previous functionality. And I can’t have a second (or multiple ones) open playlist to draw from as I could do previously. And I can’t easily use a playlist as a source for another playlist.

Thanks.

Feb 27, 2014 3:47 PM in response to raripps

As I mentioned, when I try this, it goes to Artists view, and when I click on the tabs on top, yes it goes to songs, but I loose the open playlist on the right.

Sorry, I missed this part.

It still works here as I described.

The playlist on the right stays up if I select Radio, Songs, Albums, Artists, Composers, Genres, Videos or Internet.

It only closes if I select Playlists.

It may not do as you wish but it's more than viewing only a playlist or only a library at one time.

iTunes 11 - View Playlist and Library at same time...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.