Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when will windows 8.1 be supported by bootcamp?

it works for the most part..but i do have issues (waking from sleep crash, ram usage issues... extremely old 'supported' video drivers).

I'm not sure how often they release bootcamp updates? i kind of expect them to release 8.1 support soon.

also any chance of 8.1 enterprise support? i noticed they don't support enterprise versions in older windows, why is that?

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Windows 8.1 Enterprise via Bootcamp

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 5:21 PM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2013 7:31 AM in response to mykdee311

Not like you have a recently released MacBook Pro or iMac Late 2013... that needs new drivers.

It isn't as if they Apple issued Boot Camp 3.0 way too early before Windows 7 was RTM, and 3.1 came in December as part of Snow Leopard that was rushed out in Aug/Sept 2009.

It isn't as if 8.1 was kept a secret like a recent singers new album. It has been out there for months. It runs better and IE11 has been excellent.

Even 8.0 DP was out there for months, a year of public dev and betas - and many used or tried to with varying success.

If there is a will there is a way.

Based on BC 3.0 and Lion and BC 4.0 I expected Mavericks 10.9 to offer some form of Boot Camp 6.0. They have been in lock step for years going back to Leopard and BC 2.0 in fall 2007.

It is a technical problem for people who need to run Windows and see Windows on Mac as Boot Camp Assistant offers and cannot use a VM like new Fusion 6.x or Parallels 9 that offer 8.1 support now. Some of us use both native dual boot for Windows and a VM of same install.

Dec 29, 2013 7:28 PM in response to mykdee311

thanks for your responses. kind of what i expected.

I was not so much speculating on unreleased products, as curious about previous release trends. i guess my post was not very clear, sorry. having not followed any bootcamp releases, or compatibility i am completely in the dark on the subject. It appears i am not the only one.

And you're right i don't have a recently released mac, but updated drivers(specifically video card in my case) are still helpful. especially when newer software requires a specific version of a driver or later. Even when its not required there are still performance benefits to be had by newer versions.

just seems like they are not doing their best at supporting a windows install, which i'm sure is at the bottom of their priority list. but since their OS does not support a lot of software, they sort of have to support windows. which is how bootcamp came to exist to begin with.

when will windows 8.1 be supported by bootcamp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.