Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No HDMI audio out option, only Airplay

Hi everyone,

Hoping to get some enlightenment here as I am at my wits end. Here's my setup:

Macbook Pro (mid 2011 era)

Belkin MDP to HDMI converter

Monoprice HDMI cable to Denon AV-1912 receiver

Prior to upgrading to Mavericks and numerous updates to my Apple TV, I was able to plug in to my Denon receiver via HDMI and get display and sound options pop up through System Preferences, no problem. Everything worked beautifully. So there is no issue with my sound card not supporting HDMI.

Now, whenever I try to connect through HDMI, I can only get the display to work. Trying to bypass the internal speakers through the Sound panel in System Preferences yields no results. My Denon receiver only shows up in the Sound Output panel as an Airplay option, not as HDMI. When I select it as Airplay, the receiver automatically switches to the Airplay (Internet Radio) source and kills the display connection it had made with HDMI.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to either:

a) Disable Airplay in my Denon receiver OR more apropos to this forum,

b) Get HDMI restored as an option in my Sound Output preferences.

Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks,

Jeff

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 6:34 PM

16 replies

Apr 5, 2014 8:01 AM in response to kanatakowboy

I have a pioneer sc lx86 receiver using it with a late 2013 rMBP..I discovered quite by accident that to get the HDMI Option to come up depends on your switching on sequence.. switch the display (be it TV or in my case Projector) last..so what i do is switch receiver on first then hook up my hdmi cable to the Macbookpro..(the HDMI option in either sound pref or VLC Audio Output options shows up straight away) then i switch me display on and Voila!! I get sound out of my 7.1 Sorround setup..If the display is on first i can never get the setup to work..hope this helps

Jun 4, 2014 2:26 PM in response to kanatakowboy

I have the same issue. Setup is:

-- mid-2012 MBP (non-retina) running 10.8.5 (including the very latest supplemental 10.8.5 which was supposed to fix a different issue with an HDMI audio connection not working after a Mac's wakeup from sleep).

-- MBP connected to a Harman Kardon BDS 577 AV receiver's HDMI input (this is a 5.1 receiver, connected to 5.1 speakers).

-- MBP and receiver connected via PNY mini-DP-to-HDMI adapter, which both its Amazon description & review explicitly say supports passthrough audio on Macs, and a high quality AmazonBasics HDMI cable (ditto).

-- The receiver's HDMI output is connected to an Epson EH-TW3200 projector's HDMI input (projector is Euro version of the US Epson 8345; it has no audio whatsoever).

-- The Epson is set to mirror the MBP display, and the MBP's internal display resolution is set to match the Epson's (1080p), which appears as "Epson PJ" in the menubar's Displays pulldown.

1) The issue we're having here is very clearly different from the one with the HDMI connection not working after wakeup (numerous thread about it in Apple Discussions & other forums), since there the HDMI option for sound output device is available (in the Sound Preferences panel, the equiv. menu-bar shortcut and in Audio MIDI Setup and VLC Audio --> Audio Device submenu), but didn't work properly after wakeup.

2) With our issue, when everything is connected but the projector is turned off, sound works fine. I have the option to select HDMI in all the aforementioned locations (the device is called "HDMI TV"), and, when chosen, sound is properly output via the AV receiver according to the source material (5.1 with both DTS and AC3 encodings work fine, as does stereo).

3) As soon as the projector is turned on, video appears fine as expected on the projector, mirroring the MBP's screen, but the HDMI option disappears from all above lists of sound output devices. If I was in the middle of a movie on VLC, audio switches to the builtin speakers on the MBP.

4) Trying to trick the sytem by defining a new audio aggregate device in Audio MIDI Setup when the projector is off, having it include the HDMI device, and then trying to choose it when the projector is on doesn't work -- the aggregate device is grayed out and can't be chosen.

5) TjoffenF's solution above doesn't help me: For me VLC behaves exactly like the rest of the system, so using it doesn't help. I tried several versions of VLC, including old (1.1.2) & new (2.0.9, 2.1.4).

6) Jackmo69's solution doesn't work for me either: The order the various components are switched on and/or connected doesn't matter. As soon as the projector is on, HDMI audio option simply disappears and the MBP stops using the HDMI port for audio.

7) Generally, this seems to be a problem with something called EDID. This is the protocol which HDMI and DVI devices use to tell each other about their capabilities (resolution, audio supported, etc.). Somehow the Mac thinks the HDMI device it is attached to has no audio at all, so it falls back to its internal speakers. I initially thought the problem was with my AV receiver -- whether or not the projector is turned on, it should report its own EDID, not the projector's, so I shouldn't have seen the "Epson PJ" option, right?

8) I contacted the local tech support for Harman Kardon. They hadn't heard of an issue with their receiver, but don't have Macs. From their POV, which sounded reasonable, if the issue occured with a PC laptop, they'd agree that their equipment was the culprit. They lent me a a Windows7 laptop with a builtin HDMI port (Dell Studio 1558) for a week to test.

I performed hours of experiments with it, replacing the MBP with the Dell, all other things in the setup being identical with the exception of the PNY adapter (same AV receiver, same projector, same cables, same VLC version, same source files).

9) The result:

With the Dell, all the source files output audio via HDMI to the receiver with no issues, and turning the projector on or off has no effect on the audio. To me, this proves that the issue is the Mac, probably an HDMI driver issue. AFAIK the PNY & similar adapter are simple mechanical adapters (the actual video signals are identical), so given it transmits audio fine from the MBP (when the projector is off) I don't see how the adapter could be the problem (I don't own a TV, so couldn't test with one).

10) Extensive googling yielded a couple other people with similar problems using various Macs (earlier but still post-2009 MBs and MBPs as well as a Mac mini), projectors and AV receivers. Their solutions were to (a) run TOSLINK audio seperately from the Mac to the receiver (not an option for me, since my receiver accepts TOSLINK only for an audio-only source) or (b) use an EDID emulator device, which spoofs the EDID so the Mac will agree. There was at least one person who had the issue appear after upgrading fromOS X 10.6 to 10.8 (Mac and other components didn't change), which is yet another indication this is a Mac driver issue.

10) I really don't like the idea of EDID emulators; it's a kludgy solution (needs its own power supply and additional HDMI cable), expensive ($100-$150), and not available locally. Reports on them say they don't always work.

11) I'm very much ****** at Apple at this point. The only solution I can see right now is to buy a media streamer with HDMI output, to circumvent the problem -- not an ideal solution, since it means adding a middleman, but cheaper and and more likely to work then an EDID emulator. (Incidentally, an Apple TV wouldn''t work for me as a streamer because it supports very few video codecs & file types -- not that I'd be happy to give Apple more money to fix a problem they're reponsible for.)

If anyone has since found another solution, I'd realy appreciate hearing about it.

Jun 5, 2014 3:51 AM in response to kanatakowboy

Hello

(In France) Apple mac pro 2010 Vr: 10.9.3

Graphics NVIDIA PNY Quadro 4000

HDMI audio output to my Denon AVC A11XV, HDMI 7.1 sound Drivers for NVidia card is not activated under Apple OS

Information gleaned after several contacts with PNY, and no update planned.

I'm just the Optical output with DTS and 5.1 in ITune and Adobe, QuickTime and vidéo with Denon > projecteur Sony VW90 3D

My VAIO VPCF12Z1E Windows Seven Ok HDMI 7.1 with NVidia Geforce( also compatible 3D ) with soft "Sony Vegas Pro" to execution, creation..

Did you ref sound card please?

xavier.

Nov 9, 2014 9:13 PM in response to kanatakowboy

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same issue. It seems that the issue is with the display device. I have the Panasonic PT-AE8000. I can use the MDP to HDMI on all of my TVs with the same receiver, but the Panasonic projector is the only one that gives me the Airplay option only (no HDMi option) in Sound Output. Video is displayed with no issues. Is there a resolution this issue?

Feb 21, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Ssunbrn2

Ssunbrn2,

This is a very old thread, have you tried contacting Pioneer support? http://pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Support/Home-Entertainment-Custom-Install/Det ailed+Product+Information/A+V+Receivers

Also you should also include the Model Identifier of your Mac Mini, you can find this by holding the the OPTION key and clicking on the Apple in the menu bar, and selecting System profiler/System Info (depending on which OSX you are using).

Also include which OSX you are currently using, so that someone may be able to offer some help.

Being that this is a thread from 2013 you mat also want to start a new thread, as there may be some one that has been thru this and may be able to offer some info.

Best

Feb 22, 2015 12:25 AM in response to kanatakowboy

(I wrote about this issue a few posts up, 8 months ago)
I have not found a fix to this problem. What I can add to my previous post:

-- The local Harman/Kardon (my brand of AV receiver) importer forwarded a detailed email to HK, but I never heard from them.

-- It's not the miniDP-to-HDMI adapter -- I tried a different brands and there's no difference.

-- Booting the Mac from a clean install of 10.9.4 (external disk) didn't change anything.

It's most definitely an EDID issue.
For all I know maybe some of the AV receiver vendors are not generating correct EDID blocs and Apple is being strict and ignoring these blocs, but the whole point is interoperability. Whether the projector is turned on or not, my particular AV receiver is sending the exact same audio capability info (in the EDID extension block) to the Mac. I've seen no reports about this issue with Wintel PCs (and I searched extensively), so from my POV, not offering an override option (which Windows drivers do) is an Apple driver bug.
For people who want to see the gory technical details of what I tried (dozens of hours):

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1245919&p=26977397#p26977397

I gave up, and circumvented the issue by using a streamer (bought a used WD TV Live SMP).

Feb 22, 2015 5:04 AM in response to wavelet

wavelet - thanks for sharing your research. I revived this thread in the hopes that you had identified a solution to the problem. I too believe this is an EDID issue.

My configuration: Late 2014 mac mini > HDMI > Pioneer SC-65 Receiver > HDMI > JVC RS-4980 Projector

I'm unable to get the mac mini to send multi-channel audio to the receiver. Specifically, the only output option under 'System Preferences > Audio' is the "built in" "internal speakers" (i.e., there is no "HDMI" listed"). I did find out, however, that once I disconnect the projector from the receiver, the mac mini will allow multi-channel output. It would appear that when a projector is hooked up, the mac mini "sees" a display device as opposed to a device that can receive audio.

Aug 18, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Ssunbrn2

I, too, don't get an HDMI sound output option on my new MacBook Pro! it is only since I got a new mini-dimply adapter though. The previous "cheapie" one did it fine. it was just a trashy quality and broke. New one is a "Unitek Active Mini Display Port". Will be testing other ones out incl original and will update.

No HDMI audio out option, only Airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.