Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cleared History, Now Tabs Load Blank

Hello!

Does anyone know of a solution to the following bug?

In a nutshell: I cleared my history in Safari. Later when I opened the web browser again, all the tabs loaded as blank pages.

More specifically: After clearing the history and doing nothing else to the web browser (such as clearing the cookies, etc.) I opened a new tab (the other tabs remained unchanged) and watched a PBS video for a while. Then I closed Safari. Later when I opened Safari again, the correct number of blank tabs appeared, and the title of each tab's website appeared momentarily. The titles then dissappeared from each tab one by one, all while the pages of the tabs remained blank. Each tab aquired a new title named "Top Sites." The computer was never turned off durring the above described series of events. If I choose the option "Reopen All Windows From Last Sesson," the web browser does the same thing with the tabs. All of my research in DNA is inaccessable now.

Please help!

Thank you!

Macbook Pro 17inch Late 2011 2.5GHz-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Powered by Wild Nacatls

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 7:46 PM

14 replies

Dec 15, 2013 1:36 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your contribution.

You're correct about my new tabs opening with Top Sites. I have not changed that default setting. I didn't reset Top Sites, either. The Top Sites feature still populates a new tab with sites relevant to my search patterns.

I cleared the Safari history. I did not reset Top Sites.

Regardless, neither of those should wipe clean the tabs I had open.

The problem Safari is experiencing is a sudden loss of tab data. All the tabs I had open no longer load the web page that was on them. In their place loads a blank tab, or the tabs load as though it was a new tab and so displays a "Top Sites" view. It's a mix of the two.

Dec 15, 2013 3:28 AM in response to GeoMoon5

Much the same happens here - although one out of several tabs did load correctly, and the tab titles did not change.

This happened with System Preferences - General - Close windows when quitting... Un-checked

presumably, the same thing would happen with it checked & Safari - Preferences - Safari opens with... set to 'all windows from last session'.

Dec 15, 2013 10:25 AM in response to GeoMoon5

I don't know exactly what it traces back to (i.e., I don't know what I might have done to cause), but I'm seeing a variation on the same issue:

Formerly, when I would open a new tab or when I would start up Safari new, it would go to Top Sites. My cursor would by default be in the search/url so that I could just start searching

Now, when I open a new tab, or when I start up Safari new, it goes to the Top Sites but then seems to redirect and I get a blank page. My cursor no longer defaults in the search/url (which makes sense if it's somehow being redirected).

Also, when I go to History > Show History, it goes there for a split second, but then redirects to the same blank page.

I have looked in my Safari > Preferences > General. Settings are:

* new windows open with: Top Sites

* new tabs open with: Top Sites

* home page: www.google.com

* remove history items: after one year

Safari 6.1 > OS 10.7.5

Dec 15, 2013 4:23 PM in response to GeoMoon5

My Safari web browser is not experiencing any problems with the Top Sites functionality.

The problem is that Safari is failing to restore my session of tabs as a result of having the history cleared.

Although the number of tabs I had open remains the same, they are all now either a blank page with the web site title in the tab, or are a new tab with "Top Sites" in the window of the tab.

Considering that this has not happened to me before, and considering that I have changed no configuration settings:

-Clearing the history should NOT affect the saved tabs.

-Tabs that have not been closed should not appear blank or as a "Top Sites" page the next time the web browser is opened, even if the history is cleared.

-Upon clearing the history, the tabs should not fail to load the web page they once hosted the next time the web browser is opened.

-Clearing the history should only clear the history, not the saved tabs as well.

Dec 15, 2013 7:09 PM in response to Linc Davis

"I'm trying to reproduce the problem ... I opened this page, then I opened a new tab in the same window. It was populated with Top Sites. I quit and relaunched Safari without closing the window. The same window opened with the same content."

That's indeed what normally happens with my Safari 6.0.5.

The problem occured only after clearing my history and closing Safari (I didn't close Safari imediatly after clearing the history). Upon opening Safari, all the tabs failed to load properly.

Cleared History, Now Tabs Load Blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.