Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule Hard Drive

HI Guys,

I have been looking this up but still cannot get an answer that is cleatr if yes or no....

Can i install a new Time Capsule (tall model 2013) and use teh 2TB as an external hard drive, i woudl liek to copy all my music and pictures onto teh hard drive and have itunes and iphoto directed to those stotage areas's.

At present i have an airport extreme with an external hard drive connected via USB, this is currently working as above with all the music and pictures in storage area's, when the systems starts up it automatically (as picture). But the downside to this is smetimes (lately) the hard drive disconnects and causes all sorts of issues with itunes.

If someone could please help it would be appriciated. I'm looking for definate answers so please no "i think" replies as this dont help me....

many thanks in advance

Scott

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 8:26 PM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2013 10:08 PM in response to Scott Wilton

Your picture did not show for us.. it might on your computer but it is not working.

You also set a clear limitation on answers.

If someone could please help it would be appriciated. I'm looking for definate answers so please no "i think" replies as this dont help me....

Sorry but all answers here are I think.. This is a users forum.. we have nothing to give but opinions.

So if you want a definitive answer I will give it. But there is nothing wrong with someone giving the oppostite definitive answer. After all there is no absolute when it comes to computers at least.

It will not work properly. Ever.

The TC is designed by Apple for one role.. Time Machine backup target.

You are trying to use it as a NAS. It is not a NAS. You can fudge it into the role of a NAS by ignoring the following.

1. It is slow.

2. The hard disk is designed to spin up slowly and spin down quickly.. there are no controls over spin up or down.

3. There is no backup. A TC cannot back itself up. Time Machine cannot backup a network drive.. so ironically whilst TC is designed for TM. TM cannot backup the TC at all.

4. If you use it for TM (its design role) and data.. you will run into trouble.

See Q3 here. http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

5. The USB port is slow.. so the hard disk plugged into the USB of the TC is half the speed or less than the same port on a computer.

6. Moving iphoto in particular to TC is very bad.. it is highly suspectible to being corrupted. Even if you move itunes library to the TC don't move iphoto.

Time Capsule Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.