Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

on my music app there is a red square with a red circle around it!

It is very annoying, since it is on most of my songs. i'm not very happy or impressed. i have took all of my music off my iphone and put it all back on, and still no luck.

any help?

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 14, 2013 9:14 PM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2014 4:00 PM in response to lbrost

After about 2 months scrolling through these forums I finally found a fix for this problem! I simply turned off the "Sync Music" checkbox on the "Music" tab in the page for the device on iTunes. I then checked the "Manually manage music and videos" box at the bottom of the device summary page, selected all of my music in my library and simply dragged it all to the device and the music is now all playable on my iPhone (with no duplicates, despite dragging all of my music onto the device). This was such an easy and annoyingly simple fix so hope it works for you too!

Feb 13, 2014 3:21 PM in response to lbrost

hello,

just use the mp3 convertion based on the thread below and i gurantee all your sing will be synced

Saving a copy of a song in a new file format

When converting from a compressed to uncompressed file format (for example, from MP3 to AIFF) you shouldn't notice any reduction in sound quality. However, when converting between compressed formats (for example MP3 and AAC), you may notice a reduction in the sound quality. For the best results, if you want your music encoded in a different file format, you should import the music again from the original source using the new encoding format.

To convert a song's file format

1. Open iTunes Preferences.
    Windows: Choose Edit > Preferences.
    Mac: Choose iTunes > Preferences.
  2. Click the General button, then click the Importing Settings… button in the lower section of the window.
  3. From the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the encoding format that you want to convert the song to, then click OK to save the settings.
  4. Select one or more songs in your library, then from the File > Create New Version menu, choose one of the following (the menu item changes to show what's selected in your Importing preferences):
    • Create MP3 version
    • Create AAC version
    • Create AIFF version
    • Create WAV version
    • Create Apple Lossless version

If you haven't imported some songs into iTunes yet, you can import and convert them at the same time. This will create a converted copy of the file in your iTunes Library based on your iTunes preferences. To convert all the songs in a folder or on a disk, hold down the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows) and choose File > Create New Version > Convert [import preference setting]. The Import preference setting will match what you chose in step 3. iTunes will prompt you for the location of the folder or disk you want to import and convert. All the songs in the folder or on the disk will be converted. Note: Older purchased songs are encoded using a Protected AAC format that prevents them from being converted. If you need to convert these to another format, follow the instructions in this article to upgrade them.

The song in its original format and the newly converted song appear in your library.

Feb 21, 2014 12:35 PM in response to lbrost

I have an iPad but I suspect the solution will be the same for you since I had the same exact problem. The way I got rid of it was by going to:

1) Settings

2) iTunes & App Store

3) under the "SHOW ALL" heading turn off "Music"

Open up your music player and the circles and squares should be gone.

What's happening is it is showing all your purchased music regardless of whether you have it on your iPod or not - very annoying!

Hope this helps...regards.

Feb 26, 2014 12:25 AM in response to lbrost

Not sure if there is anyone out there that hasn’t yet found a fix?

…but I found one!!!!

THE BLAH BLAH BLAH…

I tried many different suggested ways of getting my phone to sync music.

I kept clicking on songs i wanted to listen to on my iphone, and it would just zoom through my lists playlists and only play 'itunes purchased’ music and leave all other music greyed out and/or with a small red square inside a circle.

After weeks of fuming about how crappy and stupid apple is becoming... and scrolling through lots of posts on how to fix it and this is what worked, instantly, with bugger all effort/time/syncing.

******************************************************************************** **

THE SOLOUTION

******************************************************************************** **

go to 'Music' button on your device... (in my case iphone 5).

Make sure your phone is on the inital screen, where down the bottom, it has 5 sub options...

-Radio

-Playlists

-Artists

-Songs

-More

"More" is what you are after... so click/navigate to "More", then go down to the "Shared" option.

there were two options listed under the 'Shared Tab' within 'Music' on my iphone;

Ashley's iPhone

and

Ashley's Library

My phone was set to "Ashley's iPhone" - (there was a tick next to this option)

I instead selected and changed my shared setting to ; "Ashley's Library"

And it worked. INSTANTLY. Smple as that.

(please note; not sure if it makes any difference, but fyi my phone is using ios 7.0.6. )

Well this has been my first post, ever. And I REALLY hope this works for anyone still having this infuriating issue... life with out tunes is agony (it was for me). Hence this post.

GOOD LUCK!

on my music app there is a red square with a red circle around it!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.