Skip navigation

DVD ejected, having been viewed previously

215 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 12:23 PM by BDAqua RSS
Rod Fryer Level 4 Level 4 (1,865 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 15, 2013 1:41 AM

I generally watch films on my G4 PowerBook, OS 10.4.11, using DVD Player.

I watched the first episode on the second disc of a series without any problems on Friday, but when I tried to watch the second episode on the same disc yesterday, the disc was ejected. This happened each time I retried until I gave up. Another disc from the same series worked fine. The second, 'problem' disc worked fine on my Intel iMac, OS 10.6.8.

We successfully watched a film on my PB yesterday evening.

What might be the cause of the problem disc being ejected one day, having been successfully viewed the previous day?

• Klaus1 Level 8 Level 8 (43,300 points)
    Dec 15, 2013 3:34 AM (in response to Rod Fryer)

Fingerprints on the DVD? Dirty laser lens? Either can cause that.

Try cleaning the superdrive with a proprietary CD/DVD lens cleaner that uses tiny brushes (NOT any liquid). Also give the DVD a gentle wipe with a dry lint-free cloth, from the centre outwards.

• BDAqua Level 10 Level 10 (114,670 points)
    Dec 15, 2013 10:40 AM (in response to Rod Fryer)

Another long shot or two...

Was it a Sony DVD? They at onetime had sneaky SW installed on 1st play that messed up further viewing.

Also, there was an infrequent bug in 10.4.x that messed up viewing a CD/DVD sometimes...

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Dec 16, 2013 9:54 AM (in response to Rod Fryer)

Just a note, CDs & DVDs use different Lasers, voltages, & circuits, so it's possible for one to work, but not the other one.

Dec 16, 2013 12:23 PM (in response to Rod Fryer)

Very well could be going out, 10 years is far longer than any optical drive lasted for me!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.