Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD ejected, having been viewed previously

I generally watch films on my G4 PowerBook, OS 10.4.11, using DVD Player.

I watched the first episode on the second disc of a series without any problems on Friday, but when I tried to watch the second episode on the same disc yesterday, the disc was ejected. This happened each time I retried until I gave up. Another disc from the same series worked fine. The second, 'problem' disc worked fine on my Intel iMac, OS 10.6.8.

We successfully watched a film on my PB yesterday evening.

What might be the cause of the problem disc being ejected one day, having been successfully viewed the previous day?

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 1:41 AM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2013 5:52 AM in response to Klaus1

Well, the DVD looked in sparkling condition. That was what prompted me to reload it a few more times after the first failed attempt. It had only been viewed once before we were lent it.

The next disc in the series plays fine on the PB.

The problem disc played fine on the iMac.

We have subsequently watched two films without trouble on the PB.

Before replying to your post, I tried the offending disc in the PB, and it worked! So I ejected it and gave it another try to see if I could repeat the success. It was ejected!

I shall give the superdrive a clean with a lens cleaner as you described. We used to have one somewhere …

Thanks for your reply.

Dec 15, 2013 10:40 AM in response to Rod Fryer

Another long shot or two...

Was it a Sony DVD? They at onetime had sneaky SW installed on 1st play that messed up further viewing.

Also, there was an infrequent bug in 10.4.x that messed up viewing a CD/DVD sometimes...

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop for now...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

Dec 16, 2013 1:46 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for that suggestion, BD. I'll be able to give it a shot later today.

I'll report back.

I found the lens cleaning CD and gave it a whirl, but the 'Cleaning!' track stopped progressing at 10.09 minutes, the track being 35 minutes long.

That CD opened iTunes. Another thought - I'll try some audio CDs later on today as well.

Dec 16, 2013 11:29 AM in response to BDAqua

The DVDs in question belong to the set in 'Cosmos' - Carl Sagan's TV series. Discs 1 and 3 have been fine. Disc 2 is the one causing the problems. Oddly enough we watched a film on DVD last night and had to hook up an external DVD drive to view.

Followed your set of instructions - safe boot etc. - but no change.

I shall see what happens when we try to watch something this evening.

Can't make too much sense of it all other than having a sneaking feeling that the optical drive is on the blink.The PB was ten years old in October, and we have watched an awful lot of films on it.

DVD ejected, having been viewed previously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.