Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

black macbook running 10.5.8 still having weird wifi problems..

Hello Everybody,

I posted my problem in a previous thread, but closed it out because I naively thought the problem was solved. The suggestion was made to change the channel on the router, which worked for roughly 5min, but that no longer works. The entirety of my wifi issues can be seen below..

So my MacBook is having strange wifi issues. We recently got wifi in my apartment, and everything was working fine. I could connect to the internet via airport anywhere in the house for about a week or so, but suddenly I can no longer connect to our home network unless I'm right next to the router. Throughout the house airport shows that I have full signal strength and an IP address, but I'm only able to connect to the internet literally if I'm ~2ft away from the router. Strangely, my phone is able to connect to the wifi anywhere in the apartment, as well as all of my roommates electronic devices. One of them has a mac (way newer than mine) and she isn't having any problems. I have tried the following remedies:

1. turning on/off computer and router

2. 'deleting' and reinstalling airport

3. deleting system preferences

4. changing the channel on the router

For y'alls reference, I have an Arris TG862 router :http://www.arrisi.com/products/product.asp?id=79

Any suggestions as to how to remedy this issue would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,

D

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 7:02 AM

6 replies

Dec 15, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Deasydoesit

Sorry my earlier fix was so short lived.

Whilst I have never had a bad one it is possible that your wireless card is defective.

Does it still fail if the MacBook is kept plugged into the mains. Some of ours go on the blink when the batteries are no longer up to full specification.

Is an Ethernet cable connection reliable?

You could try flushing your DNS cache: http://etherealmind.com/flush-dns-cache-on-mac-os-x/

You could also try changing your MacBook's DNS server to 8.8.8.8 - will not affect use of local network but ensures good DNS service for Internet testing.

Dec 15, 2013 8:20 AM in response to Neville Hillyer

Mr. Hillyer,

Even when plugged in to the mains, internet connection is only possible when directly next to the router.

The ethernet cable provides a reliable connection. I'm writing this message via that method.

I flushed the DNS cache an changed the DNS server, but still no luck...I really have no idea what the problems is, my computer is able to connect to the internet at other locations (school, work, etc.)..

black macbook running 10.5.8 still having weird wifi problems..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.