Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel panic after installing xcode

Hi,

I was stupid enough to install an older version of Xcode on Mavericks and during the installation, my Mac completely crashed. It just went black. After rebooting, I get a kernel panic each time. The error dump mentions "Mac OS version not yet set" so I assume the kernel panic occurs even before the OS is trying to load. It also mentions something about Kernel Extensions in backtrace: com.apple.iokit.CHUDKernLib.

From what I've read so far, it seems that older Xcode versions try to install 32bit kernel extensions, causing the problem. But how do I fix that?

What can I do?

- booting into safe mode or single user mode does not work (same kernel panic): there seems to be a CHUD removal tool available, but as I cannot boot into safe mode, I cannot run it.

- booting into recovery mode works: I tried checking the hard disk for errors (all was fine). So I can also access the terminal. But now what?

- I cannot do a fresh install of MacOSX: gives an unknown error warning

- I cannot restore from Time Capsule: there are no backups available (which is untrue)

I read an article somewhere that I should move the kernel extensions out of the way, but I cannot seem to find them. There are no CHUD kext files in the /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Have they moved in Mavericks?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 8:57 AM

3 replies

Dec 15, 2013 1:04 PM in response to Tomeranaray

I cannot restore from Time Capsule: there are no backups available (which is untrue)

Most likely, some folders were inadvertently excluded from your backups, and as a result you can't restore your data in Recovery, Setup Assistant, or Migration Assistant.

Starting from a clean installation of OS X, set up a new administrator account and log in. Enter Time Machine and press the key combination shift-command-C. The front window will show all mounted volumes. All snapshots should now be accessible.* Select the one you want and navigate to your home folder (in the Users folder at the top level of the old startup volume.)

You should now be able to restore your user data. I suggest you do this in two stages. Quit all applications except the Finder before you begin.
  1. Restore all the visible items at the top level of your home folder.
  2. Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. Enter Time Machine and restore all items in the Library folder. Log out and log back in as soon as the restore is complete.
Any other invisible folders or files at the top level of your home folder that you want to preserve will have to be restored separately. For most users, that isn't necessary.

You'll have to reinstall all third-party applications from scratch, or restore them from another kind of backup, if you have one.

You'll have another problem if this is a new computer, or if you erased the startup volume: The next time you back up, Time Machine won't recognize any files as being the same as they were before, and will make a full copy of all files. There might not be enough space on one or more of your backup volumes for that. There are different ways of dealing with that situation, depending on your needs. The easiest way is to set your backup drives aside, if possible, until you're sure you'll no longer need the data on them, then erase them and start over. Meanwhile start a new backup on one or more empty storage devices. If that solution isn't workable for you, ask for instructions.

*If you don't see any snapshots in Time Machine, exit the time-travel view and then hold down the option key while selecting

Browse Other Backup Disks...

from the Time Machine menu, which has an icon that looks like a clock running backwards. Select the backups of your computer by its previous name. If you don't have the Time Machine menu, open the Time Machine preference pane in System Preferences and check the box marked

Show Time Machine in menu bar

kernel panic after installing xcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.