9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2013 12:53 AM by léonie
sarti46 Level 1 (0 points)

I bought a new iMac. I restored via TimeMachine the old configuration (Maverics as OS) but Aperture isn't working and ask my product number. Giving product number it says no valid number. What can I do?

iPad, OS X Mountain Lion
  • léonie Level 10 (91,124 points)

Is your Aperture serial number an Upgrade Serial number from Aperture 2? Then you need to enter both erial numbers, for version 2 and version 3.

Check, if you did not mix up similar looking characters, like O and 0, or 1 and l.  See:

Troubleshooting Professional Application Serial Numbers

Is Aperture still running on your old mac? Then you can see the serial number in the "About" panel : In the main menu bar:  Aperture > About Aperture

Is your old Mac also running Mavericks? Would it be possible to upgrade Aperture at the old Mac to Aperture 3.5?

• sarti46 Level 1 (0 points)

After the serial number for version 2 it tells me: wrong serial number. No way to enter the version 3 serial number.

No, I didn't upgrade to version 3.5 because it said to me that the sw is up to date. By the way: I'm running Aperture in Italian environnement (Maverics)

Thanks

Enter first the Aperture 3 serial number, because it is Aperture 3, and then it should ask for the Aperture 2 serial number.

If your old Mac is running Mavericks, you could upgrade to Aperture 3.5.  You should see the Update at the App Store in the Updates tab. But Aperture 3 needs to be installed in the Applications folder and simply be called Aperture, not Aperture 3 or similar.

In some countries it was necessary, to set the primary system language temporarily to English U.S. and the region to U.S., then to restart the system, for the Update to show at the AppStore.

If you can update your Aperture on one of your Macs to Aperture 3.5, your licence will be converted to an AppStore licence, and you will no longer need your serial numbers. Then you can install or reinstall Aperture from the App Store on any of your Macs, without needing the serial number.

Thanks for your help, but apparently your suggestion doesn't work. I entered the version 3 serial number but I had to use the Alt+Cmd+esc to quit Aperture that doesn't answer!!

Regards

ms

But at least Aperture launched. What is the version you are having currently installed?

If it is a version of Aperture 3, but not Aperture 3.4.5,  download the 3.4.5 update from the support page and run the updater.  Aperture 3.4.5 should run on Mavericks.

Download here:  Aperture 3.4.5     http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1657

No, Aperture wasn't launched, only shown the initial mask. The version is the last available for the Italian market 3.4.5

Thanks

ms

Do you still have the Aperture 3 upgrade installer DVD?  Then move Aperture to the Trash (don't empty the Trash) and install it again using the installer. The installed cersion cannot launch on Mavericks. Update it immediately using the updater from the support page: 

Aperture 3.4.5     http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1657

Then try to launch it and enter the serial numbers.

I solved my problem upgrading the old Mac to version 3.5.1. Then I installed the new version using the Apple Store onto the new Mac

Thanks a lot

Massimo

Prego, Massimo.

You are welcome.    That is great, that you could solve it this way. The App Store licence for the newest Aperture makes things a lot easier!  But save your installer CDs nevertheless. There might come a day, when this Aperture will no longer be available from the App Store, and then you migt have problems to reinstall it on your old Mac.

Léonie