Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help solve my on going issue setting up a VPN for my mac server?

I've downloaded the server app to my Mac mini and opted to configure it to a private host name: server.example.private

After a lot of fiddling with the EE Brightbox router (which issues IP's) and the server app I've finally managed to log in as a network user.

But despite my efforts I can't seem to configure the VPN successfully. I'm guessing I've not set something up right. The server app seems happy but if I leave the network and try to VPN in it comes up with an error saying it can't connect:

"L2TP cannot connect to the server"

Can anyone help?

Apple macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 9:55 AM

5 replies

Dec 15, 2013 1:28 PM in response to MacLuke

To run a public VPN server, you need to do the following:

1. Give the gateway either a static external address or a dynamic DNS name. The latter must be a DNS record on a public DNS registrar, not on the server itself. Also in the latter case, you must run a background process to keep the DNS record up to date when your IP address changes.

2. Give the VPN server a static address on the local network, and a hostname that is not in the top-level domain "local" (which is reserved for Bonjour.)

3. Forward external UDP ports 500, 1701, and 4500 (for L2TP) and TCP port 1723 (for PPTP) to the corresponding ports on the VPN server.

4. Configure any firewall in use to pass this traffic.

In addition, the L2TP service is usually non-functional in OS X 10.9 because of a bug. Unofficially, you can work around the bug by replacing the file /usr/sbin/racoon with a copy from a 10.8 installation.

Dec 18, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

1.I haven't got a static external address. I'll set up a dynamic DNS

2. Give the VPN server a static address on the local network - done this. So the MAC has a static IP.

How do I create a hostname that is not in the top level domain?

3. Forward external UDP ports 500, 1701, and 4500 (for L2TP) and TCP port 1723 (for PPTP) to the corresponding ports on the VPN server. - I think I've done this on the Brightbox but can't be 100% it's working. Is there an app to test it?

4. Configure any firewall in use to pass this traffic. n/a

Dec 18, 2013 7:15 AM in response to MacLuke

By default, the hostname is set to be in the "private" domain. If you didn't change that, you don't have to do anything.

If the VPN works, the ports are open. If it doesn't work, you can test connectivity with something like netcat (nc). But it's easier just to make the server a default host temporarily and forward all incoming traffic to it.

Can anyone help solve my on going issue setting up a VPN for my mac server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.