Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X 10.9, Apple Wireless Keyboard won't pair

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro, and want to set up my old Apple Wireless keyboard to it. I can't find it on the list of discoverable devices, yet it is powered on with new batteries. THe keyboard is an older model with the 3 battery operation instead of two.

I have booted my machine

have done an SMC and PRAM reset which did not help
Since this is a new computer I doubt I would have to reinstall the OS

I also have a Magic Mouse and it works fine, but the keyboard won't show up on the bluetooth device list, nor can I set it up using the setup assistant.

Thank you

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 1:46 PM

Hi Nightrain,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. This article goes through the steps of pairing the keyboard:

Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1809

Now pair the keyboard with the computer:

1. Press and release the On/Off switch to turn on your wireless keyboard.
  2. The green LED should begin blinking if the keyboard is not already paired and connected to another computer. The blinking LED indicates that the keyboard is in the discoverable mode. If you don't pair your keyboard with your Mac within three minutes, the indicator light and keyboard will turn off to preserve battery life. If this happens, press the On/Off switch to turn your keyboard on again. Note: If the LED doesn't turn on, make sure you have good batteries in the keyboard and that they are properly installed.
  3. On the computer you wish to pair the keyboard with, choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then choose Keyboard from the View menu.
  4. Click “Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard ...” in the lower-right corner to open Bluetooth Setup Assistant.
  5. Select your wireless keyboard, then follow the onscreen instructions to pair it with your Mac. You will be asked asked to enter an 8 digit passkey. Important: You MUST press Return after you enter the 8 digit code.

Are you seeing the light on the keyboard blink as described in step 2?

Cheers,

- Ari

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2013 1:46 PM in response to Nightrain

Hi Nightrain,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. This article goes through the steps of pairing the keyboard:

Bluetooth: How to set up your Apple Wireless Keyboard

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1809

Now pair the keyboard with the computer:

1. Press and release the On/Off switch to turn on your wireless keyboard.
  2. The green LED should begin blinking if the keyboard is not already paired and connected to another computer. The blinking LED indicates that the keyboard is in the discoverable mode. If you don't pair your keyboard with your Mac within three minutes, the indicator light and keyboard will turn off to preserve battery life. If this happens, press the On/Off switch to turn your keyboard on again. Note: If the LED doesn't turn on, make sure you have good batteries in the keyboard and that they are properly installed.
  3. On the computer you wish to pair the keyboard with, choose System Preferences from the Apple () menu, then choose Keyboard from the View menu.
  4. Click “Set Up Bluetooth Keyboard ...” in the lower-right corner to open Bluetooth Setup Assistant.
  5. Select your wireless keyboard, then follow the onscreen instructions to pair it with your Mac. You will be asked asked to enter an 8 digit passkey. Important: You MUST press Return after you enter the 8 digit code.

Are you seeing the light on the keyboard blink as described in step 2?

Cheers,

- Ari

May 25, 2014 3:15 PM in response to ariel s

Hi!

I've got the same problem. It used to be connected to my MacBook, but since I also connected it to another PC it is impossible to connect it to the MacBook again.

I see the green LED blinking as you described in step 2, but it doesn't show up in the bluetooth assistant and it also doesn't show up in the keyboard preferences when I click on the "Set up bluetooth keyboard" button. It only shows "Keine Tastertur gefunden." (which means "No keyboard found" in English).

Do you have an idea how I could connect it, again?

BTW: The other device that used to be connected to the keyboard is turned off.

Thank you!

OS X 10.9, Apple Wireless Keyboard won't pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.