Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get "protected" music files to work with iMovie?

So I was in the process of making a movie for my parents and I had already added this perfect, classic song before updating to Mavericks. Now having switched to Mavericks (iMovie 10.0.1), it no longer plays and I see this notification saying 2425 files are protected and unavailable. I don't understand why I can't use 2425 songs I've purchased for use in my personal home video movies.

Is the only option to revert from Mavericks to what I had before? Is there any way I will ever be able to use these "protected files" in iMovie again?

iMovie (iOS), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 10:20 AM

16 replies

Sep 12, 2017 4:07 PM in response to DBHopper

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question.

Dec 15, 2013 2:50 PM in response to ry_sav

You should be able to access and use any song in your iTunes library just as in iMovie 9. Is any of your iMovie library accessible from iMovie 10 or is 2425 the total number of songs in it?

It is possible that the link to your iTunes song has been broken when you upgraded. You could try locating it in your iTunes libray and dragging a copy directly into the iMovie 10 timeline.

Dec 15, 2013 5:31 PM in response to GeeD

I dragged it in from iTunes but the song still won't play. I have other songs in the project that do play though.

I think 2425 refers to the number of songs that are apparently no longer compatable with this version of iMovie.

All of the videos transferred, its just that a lot of the songs I had with my projects no longer play.

Mar 26, 2014 11:32 AM in response to Angie Cottrell

Angie, What do you mean by locate the file? The music file? I did that for a song that went with a movie I made in the old iMovie. I found the song in iTunes (in this case the song it 'My Wish"). I did not know how to make a duplicate so i just dropped the song from iTunes to my desktop. Then I dumped it in to my movie editor again. Not sure what you meant by music section? I am 100% positive I am having the same problems you had and my appt. at Apple is not for 2 weeks with one to one help. They are so booked out. OYE! Tons of problems since switching to Mavericks but I am working it out slowly...my 2 and 3 year olds are better at this than me. lol

Mar 26, 2014 1:18 PM in response to Ocotillo Mama

I duplicated the actual file of a song not in iTunes but going through Macintosh HD, but it was still protected so it wouldn't play in the new iMovie. The only way you can unprotect a song is through iTunes Match, so I've heard. (I've also read that it may work to burn a CD and then reimport the music so it shouldn't be protected, but I haven't tried that) Anyways, I just went back to using the older version of iMovie (9.0.9) which was still in my Apps folder because that version doesn't distinguish between protected and unprotected music and was less of a headache.

Mar 30, 2014 1:05 AM in response to ry_sav

If you go to 'Purchased' songs in your Library, just right click on the song you want, then click 'create ACC version'

Then go to your device summary - Music tab - Sync Music - Check: Selected playlists, artists, albumns and genres - Under Artists, find your song and check it - Then apply. Voila Done!

Now you go to iMovies and add your song to your movie.

How can I get "protected" music files to work with iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.