Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i fix the mistakes i made when i erased hard disk and restart without reinstalling the hd hard disk

i accidently erased macbook pro hd disk and when i tried to reinstall marvrick, it wont let me install and then i decided to restart then apple icon never came on and it did nothing for a long time.. please help.. i think it was hacked or virus messed it up

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 12:11 PM

7 replies

Dec 15, 2013 12:39 PM in response to lnwjab84

It was not hacked, nor was this a virus. You erased the hard drive, so there's no system for it to start up from. I'm not sure what "it won't let me install" means, since you haven't given a specific error message, detailed description of the problem or information about how you were trying to install.

First, before you do anything else, was the data on that drive backed up? If not, it's currently gone. You may be able to get most of it back using a data recovery tool. If you need to do this, do not do anything else with that drive, and see Recovering deleted files.

If you already had Mavericks installed before erasing the hard drive, hold down command-R at startup. This should start you up in recovery mode. From there, you can reinstall Mavericks. If you did not have Mavericks installed, or if you did but cannot get it to start in recovery mode, then you will need to reinstall an older system. If the machine originally came with Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) or older, you will need the install disks to do this. If it came with a more recent system, try holding down command-option-R at startup to boot into internet recovery mode. You will need to be on a decently-fast network.

Dec 15, 2013 2:27 PM in response to lnwjab84

If we knew how the Mavericks install was failing, someone might be able to suggest a way to get it to work. The problem is, we still don't know that.

If you end up having to reinstall Snow Leopard, you will need the install disk. You can order replacements for a small shipping & handling fee from Apple. Whether that will be necessary or not is still up in the air.

how do i fix the mistakes i made when i erased hard disk and restart without reinstalling the hd hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.