Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Fix / Restore Sound when only certain sounds are "missing" / disabled (videos, keyboard, alerts, etc.)

Hi all,

This is a solution that I obtained from this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5318519?answerId=23013088022#23013088022

I am reposting as a "How to" in hopes that it will give be easier to search / find, but all credit goes to the folks in the link above.

Symptoms: Only certain types of sounds work (e.g. ringtone) while others do not (videos, keyboard, trying to listen to diff. ringtones in settings option)

Cause: Connector at bottom of phone is dirty / has crud in there.

Diagnosis Tips:

1) If you have the symptoms above, you might be suffering from this problem

2) If your iPhone USB cable doesn't seem to "tightly" connect like it used to, this might be a good indicator that crud is in the phone connector (on the phone itself) (for example, when I connected my cable, it looked a little lopsided).

Solution:

1) Clean the connector port on the bottom of the phone with something gentle.

- I used a toothbrush (as described in the link above) and 5 seconds later, the phone worked again. It took a little more effort to actually get the crud out. Obviously, whether you use an aircompressor, toothbrush, etc - just be careful not to damage the pins on your connector.

*** Other problems may be to blame, such as debris being stuck in your headphone jack. This is only one possible problem and solution.

iPhone 4

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 1:40 PM

There are no replies.

How to Fix / Restore Sound when only certain sounds are "missing" / disabled (videos, keyboard, alerts, etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.