Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you swap back and forth between carriers with an unlocked 5s, by swapping SIMs?

I bought my wife an unlocked iPhone 5s for Christmas (our first smartphone). It is an unlocked 5s with a T-Mobile SIM installed at the factory.

Because AT&T and T-Mobile have different coverage areas, is it possible to have a monthly prepaid account with both simultaneously? Then just switch out the SIM cards to change carriers (assuming of course that I bought and activated a second SIM with AT&T)?

I realize the phone numbers would probably be different, but would the carrier even need to know that you are switching back and forth between carriers, as you move from one coverage area to another?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, unlocked, with T-Mobile SIM

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 1:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2013 1:27 PM

You can swap SIMs, but you may need to reactivate after each swap.

7 replies

Dec 15, 2013 1:32 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Yes, that is what may be an issue. Since I've never owned a smartphone, I don't know if you need a new account each time you activate with a carrier.

I'm hoping someone will tell me (accurately) that I can just swap SIMS without telling the carrier. Because I will have a prepaid account with each carrier, I can't see why they would have a problem with me using another carrier some of the time. It may, however, be more of a hardware issue (e.g. removing the SIM somehow resets the account).

Thanks for your answer, though...

Dec 15, 2013 1:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks for your help. This sounds like it would be a simple experiment to try. Our home is here in the city, where LTE reception should be excellent for both carriers. Since T-Mobile is currently cheaper, I plan to start with them.

I have a small cabin in the National Forest in WV, however, and the only reception there (so I've heard) is with AT&T. I just want to be able to experiment with the AT&T service there, without messing up my T-Mobile account at home. Sounds like this should be a relatively no-risk trial, with the expenditure of $60 for a month's AT&T coverage.

Can you swap back and forth between carriers with an unlocked 5s, by swapping SIMs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.